Pecans: What to do with them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HUGE pain in the arse. They have to be the nastiest tree in America. We have thirty some and they drop hundreds of pound of walnuts on the ground along with the sticks that hold the nuts to clog roof guttering even with the "gutter protectors".
Easy to twist an ankle walking across the yard at night if one is stepped on.
We used to spend days raking and gathering them up getting a 6' front loader on the tractor full two to three times to dump on the burn pile.
Now we let the plethora of squirrels gather them while galivanting around the country in the RV. Come spring they are all gone! Problem solved.
They sure do taste good though.... well, minus the worms.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HUGE pain in the arse. They have to be the nastiest tree in America. We have thirty some and they drop hundreds of pound of walnuts on the ground along with the sticks that hold the nuts to clog roof guttering even with the "gutter protectors".
Easy to twist an ankle walking across the yard at night if one is stepped on.
We used to spend days raking and gathering them up getting a 6' front loader on the tractor full two to three times to dump on the burn pile.
Now we let the plethora of squirrels gather them while galivanting around the country in the RV. Come spring they are all gone! Problem solved.

Given the standard squirrel behavior for burying their food supply and forgetting some of it so it sprouts to become a tree, perhaps you need a change in your screen name to denniswalnutseed. 😁

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Terry Whetstone in Mangum has equipment for processing pecans. Facebook

@fubarjohnnyr

Ran about 60 lbs by Terry's place today. He did 'em while we went and had lunch. Thanks for the tip.

We collected about 40 lbs initially and this is from the second run.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something else I wish we had, a good pecan tree. I love them. Years ago I worked at a nursing home / assisted living center that was going to build some new cottages at the back. They cut down several really nice paper shell pecan trees. One produced huge pecans. Around 3 inches long with a good flavor. I was so upset they did not leave the trees but they wanted to plant Bradford pear trees, the idiots.

I buy pecan halves and pieces when on sale, same for walnuts, mix them with cashews and cocktail peanuts, a few raisins and a small bag of peanut M&Ms for trail mix type snack.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something else I wish we had, a good pecan tree. I love them. Years ago I worked at a nursing home / assisted living center that was going to build some new cottages at the back. They cut down several really nice paper shell pecan trees. One produced huge pecans. Around 3 inches long with a good flavor. I was so upset they did not leave the trees but they wanted to plant Bradford pear trees, the idiots.

I buy pecan halves and pieces when on sale, same for walnuts, mix them with cashews and cocktail peanuts, a few raisins and a small bag of peanut M&Ms for trail mix type snack.
That is something that I also love. Some good pecans. Some others are talking about walnuts an I can’t stand them. They taste like dirt. But pecans? I could live off them. A girl I use to date a long time ago had three trees. One was a paper shell. Man o man I got spoiled. To bad it takes so long for them to grow compared to a fruit tree. It is a shame they knocked down those trees for construction instead of building around them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom