Pelicans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not legal to hunt.
That being said I worked with crusty old guy that was probably one of the best outdoorsmen I've ever ran across. Learned a lot from that guy but one thing he told me was a story about a pelican that stuck with me over the years.
We worked together at a power plant but on occasion he would travel to one of the others in the fleet to help with overhauls. He was at one of the OKC power plants with a lake surrounding the plant. He said a pelican flew into some power lines and was killed.
Said he was always curious about the internal organs of every animal he had taken so decided to do an autopsy on the pelican.
He said once he exposed the internals, the smell was so overwhelming that he hurled his guts out. Said his hands and the knife stunk worse than anything he had ever smelled so he put the knife into a solvent tank, taking several days for the smell to get off his hands no matter what he tried to neutralize it.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can only imagine how nasty they are to eat.
I cooked a hooded merganser once, and only once. The smell wouldn't leave my kitchen for days. I couldn't eat it. The dog barely ate it.

I came upon a pile of dead cormorants one morning and the stench was so repugnant and overwhelming it made me dizzy.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can only imagine how nasty they are to eat.
I cooked a hooded merganser once, and only once. The smell wouldn't leave my kitchen for days. I couldn't eat it. The dog barely ate it.

I came upon a pile of dead cormorants one morning and the stench was so repugnant and overwhelming it made me dizzy.
My Duck Hunting buddy always said you don’t eat the fish eating ducks

Latest posts

Top Bottom