Pellet gun for Starlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like the air guns that pump with a hinge on the barrel. That hinge wears out quickly and the accuracy goes with it.
We bought a half dozen of them at the power plant to use for pigeon control. Pretty accurate for a few hundred cycles, and then they wouldn't hit the side of a barn. Side cockers like RWS or underlever cockers with fixed barrels is what I'd recommend.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple hundred shots will probably be enough for my life time but have to ask. Was the hinge ever oiled on the ones that wore out? Any thoughts on if oiling would extend the life?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple hundred shots will probably be enough for my life time but have to ask. Was the hinge ever oiled on the ones that wore out? Any thoughts on if oiling would extend the life?
Yes, they were oiled, but I think they may have not been real careful about keeping everything straight when recocking. That's just my theory, but the reality was every one of them failed at about the same number of shots. Each department that got the rifles got a 250 pack of pellets with them, and there were always pellets left when they lost accuracy.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my 880 leaned against the wall is a Daisy. I thought Crossman was a 760? Either way I shot thousand of bbs through my 880 as a kid. When we lived in Hallet closest neighbor was about half a mile away. They had a dog that took a liking to my male German Shepard. That dumb old dog would get a bb in the rear let out a little yelp and start home. After a while she knew the sound of it pumping and started on her way back home. She was a little slower on the learning but she proved Pavlov's theory to be true.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So my 880 leaned against the wall is a Daisy. I thought Crossman was a 760? Either way I shot thousand of bbs through my 880 as a kid. When we lived in Hallet closest neighbor was about half a mile away. They had a dog that took a liking to my male German Shepard. That dumb old dog would get a bb in the rear let out a little yelp and start home. After a while she knew the sound of it pumping and started on her way back home. She was a little slower on the learning but she proved Pavlov's theory to be true.
Ya know, I think you're right! I don't remember the model number. The ones we had had a "humped" receiver like a shotgun and wood colored plastic furniture. I had a lever action that looked durn near like a Winchester 94 too. I think I remember it weighed atleast 32lbs.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Yes you are correct! I was mistaken above. Replaced several of those felt gaskets before the hinges wore into also lol.
https://www.daisy.com/product/PowerLine-Model-880/?itemnumber=990880-001

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing like watching a 5 or 6 year old try and cock a red Ryder or pump a bb rifle. Its like it takes herculean strength to them.

I bought my son some of these nice cap guns when he was 4 for Christmas. He had to use two fingers to pull the trigger. At the end of the video they show a kid having to use 2 fingers. I cracked up laughing when I saw it reminded me of my son. Those things will eat some caps.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife bought me the Gamo Raptor and received it Friday, been futsing with the scope for the last couple days. First it has a pin that is suppose to go into a hole in the receiver to prevent the rear mount from moving. My mount had the wrong pin for the gun and I had to do a little machine work to make it fit. Gamo is sending me the proper scope mount but I didn't want to wait. Spent most of yesterday trying to get the scope sighted in, best I was able to do was a quarter size group at 20 yards. After bringing it in for the evening discovered the scope had moved in the rings about 3/4 of an inch to the rear. Guess I didn't get the ring screws tight enough and didn't notice it had moved while I was shooting.

Now I get to start all over with the sighting in process, pretty sure I have the rings tight enough now and am hoping for better results. a quarter is probably good enough for starlings but not good enough for sparrows.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing like watching a 5 or 6 year old try and cock a red Ryder or pump a bb rifle. Its like it takes herculean strength to them.

I bought my son some of these nice cap guns when he was 4 for Christmas. He had to use two fingers to pull the trigger. At the end of the video they show a kid having to use 2 fingers. I cracked up laughing when I saw it reminded me of my son. Those things will eat some caps.

I saw roll caps in dollar general today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom