Pellet smoker update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rather than continue to hijack the Pit Boss thread, I thought I would start a new one about pellet cooker smoking.

As stated in the other thread, my first experience smoking on the pellet grill was sub par. Tonight round 2. I smoked 2 chickens, spatchcocked, and used the A Maze N smoke tube filled with hickory pellets. I prefer pecan, so the first pellets I bought were pecan, but in pellet form it was too mild for my taste.

The result was much, much better. While I can't say the chicken was better than I've cooked on an offset, vertical, or kettle. It was very good and the process is so easy. Using the 2 included temperature probes, I removed each bird at exactly 165° and both were cooked perfectly. The most moist smoked chicken I've ever had. The legs, thighs and wings were the best. Breast were very moist and juicy but not very smoky.

The smoke tube is an easy improvement that allows a simple way to get more smoke flavor & experiment mixing wood flavors.

Next up is a pork loin.

Again, I can't say the food on the pellet grill is better, but with the ease of use, I can see using this thing weekly rather than a few times a year using an offset or kettle. And, with experience my results should continue to improve. Maybe in a couple of years I'll move up to one of the premium cookers.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a Camp Chef Woodwind 24 today. Should be here in a week or so.

The biggest thing I’m looking forward to is overnight briskets. I’ve done briskets on my kettle using a charcoal snake and the temps stayed fairly consistent but I wouldn’t trust it overnight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my pellet smoker, I've had it for years and have smoked successfully almost everything I throw in it, one of my favorites is smoked Cheez-its!

I toss them in a bowl with a little bit of olive oil and some cajun spices and smoke them for about 30 minutes and they are crispy and smoke coated to perfection. I use my instant pot insert to put the crackers in and give it a good stirring about half-way thru.

Enjoy!

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a Camp Chef Woodwind 24 today. Should be here in a week or so.

The biggest thing I’m looking forward to is overnight briskets. I’ve done briskets on my kettle using a charcoal snake and the temps stayed fairly consistent but I wouldn’t trust it overnight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The Woodwind is a good looking unit. Let us know how it works for you.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my pellet smoker, I've had it for years and have smoked successfully almost everything I throw in it, one of my favorites is smoked Cheez-its!

I toss them in a bowl with a little bit of olive oil and some cajun spices and smoke them for about 30 minutes and they are crispy and smoke coated to perfection. I use my instant pot insert to put the crackers in and give it a good stirring about half-way thru.

Enjoy!
That sounds good. I'm trying to envision what inspires one to smoke cheez-its.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed my pellet smoker. Yesterday had 4 racks of ribs on one and a spatchcocked chicken on another. Is it any better than my drum smoker? No. Am I getting more consistent results because I'm not having to mess with vents to control temp? Absolutely. I bought this with convenience in mind and it has definitely been convenient.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to own one, for reasons stated above.

I've never had anything off a pellet smoker that was as good as what I used to do when cooking competitively. Saying that to say this, I don't smoke anything anymore because it's such a huge PITA, so I'm gonna get me a pellet smoker/grill, because something is better than nothing, and I miss my brisket and ribs, et al.

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use my pellet grill exclusively now. Started with a Traeger about 12 years ago, then gave it to my son and bought a Smokin Brothers P30....Got rid of my stick burner, and propane grill.
Can't get the depth of smoke flavor with a pellet grill, but the ease of cooking a large variety of things that taste great more than makes up for the difference. I use mine 2-4 times a week.... The best price I've found on pellets is Lumber Jack 20lb for $8.99 at Atwoods in Norman...

Latest posts

Top Bottom