Pellet smoker update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XDTime

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone using a Recteq pellet grill? It offers a LO setting (under 200 deg) for max smoke output and I am wondering if the flavor is closer to a stick smoker.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone using a Recteq pellet grill? It offers a LO setting (under 200 deg) for max smoke output and I am wondering if the flavor is closer to a stick smoker.

I have a Recteq RT700 and a Recteq Bullseye; the 700 on low (xtreme smoke) does put out quite a bit of smoke, and coupled with an A-Maze-N smoke tube, I personally think it creates too much smoke. I don't care for overpowering smoke (my father in law would probably drink liquid smoke and enjoy it) but the 700 has been perfect for our tastes.

For pellets I use either Pit-Boss competition (walmart or lowes) or B&B competition (Academy) blends, both run $15 for 40lbs. I've tried the Louisiana competition blend, but at $30 for 40lbs I didn't see any difference from the others. Maybe my smoker pallet just isn't as refined as others...

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

XDTime

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Recteq RT700 and a Recteq Bullseye; the 700 on low (xtreme smoke) does put out quite a bit of smoke, and coupled with an A-Maze-N smoke tube, I personally think it creates too much smoke. I don't care for overpowering smoke (my father in law would probably drink liquid smoke and enjoy it) but the 700 has been perfect for our tastes.

For pellets I use either Pit-Boss competition (walmart or lowes) or B&B competition (Academy) blends, both run $15 for 40lbs. I've tried the Louisiana competition blend, but at $30 for 40lbs I didn't see any difference from the others. Maybe my smoker pallet just isn't as refined as others...
Thank you for the feedback, glad to hear from someone who has actually used the grill!

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the link, it addressed my question exactly!

You bet. I was between the Rectec and Camp Chef but ended up going Camp Chef Woodwind for the clean out system, slide sear feature and sidekick. Also, the Woodwind now has WiFi.

If you want to step even more check out Yoder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did I miss at what temp and for how long?
275° until internal temperature was 165°. Small bird took 3.5 hours & large bird took about 20 minutes longer. This was longer than I expected, but it was cold outside. When I watched the temperature setting it never fluctuated more than 5°. (The first use fluctuated closer to 12°)

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheez-it's are 225 degrees max for 1 1/2 hours minimum. Stir halfway thru, I use the insert from a ninja pressure cooker/fryer. It is vented on the bottom and allows the smoke to travel up and around the crackers.

Enjoy with a nice glass of cheap bourbon, it makes everything better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom