Pellet smoker update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheez-it's are 225 degrees max for 1 1/2 hours minimum. Stir halfway thru, I use the insert from a ninja pressure cooker/fryer. It is vented on the bottom and allows the smoke to travel up and around the crackers.

Enjoy with a nice glass of cheap bourbon, it makes everything better.
Thanks. We'll give this a try.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheez-it's are 225 degrees max for 1 1/2 hours minimum. Stir halfway thru, I use the insert from a ninja pressure cooker/fryer. It is vented on the bottom and allows the smoke to travel up and around the crackers.

Enjoy with a nice glass of cheap bourbon, it makes everything better.
I didn't think cheez-its could be any better but I need to try this. The cracker guys not the bourbon.:)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the smoked Cheez-Its once. I put my Yoder on airflow only and put a smoke tube in there. I left 'em a couple hours, but when I tried 'em, oh my God, the smoke flavor was BITTER as hell. It was terrible! Honestly I don't remember now if I used one or two smoke tubes. But I haven't had the desire to try again.

I mean, it wasn't too smoky, it was BITTER smoke. Wasn't good.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_8050.JPG

Camp Chef arrived today!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learned another lesson today. Fired up the smoker for a pork loin, but it flamed out. Emptied the fire box and started over. Put on the loin and had to be gone a few hours. My wife checked the temperature for me but it flamed out again about 2 hours in.

Those of you with more experience may offer some advice. First time I used the smoker I filled the hopper with pellets. About 18 pounds worth. I'm assuming that the pellets have become damp from humidity and are difficult to burn. Should I use only 5 pounds or so of pellets at a time to keep them dry? Can I dry out the pellets in the oven or microwave? Is there another reason for the flame out?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had a flame out on the RecTeq, my neighbor had them on his Traeger, his issue was wet pellets. He was actually storing the bag(open) next to the grill and they were getting rained on, very obvious they were wet(coming apart). I keep the hopper full on mine and don't have moisture issues, the grill isn't in direct rain though.

The only way for you to tell for certain is to remove all of the pellets and start with some new/fresh ones that you know are not wet.

Also be careful not to dump a lot of the "dust" from the bottom of the pellet bag in the hopper too. It doesn't affect my machine, but I have heard instances where it did affect others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Shoot Summ is right, the only way to know is replace them.

I had some flameout problems on my Traeger, never had one on my Yoder. The problems on the Traeger MAINLY happened when I replaced the burn pot at the same time as the igniter. I thought it would be a good time to do it. I was wrong. The new pot had two extra little holes in it and it flamed out CONSTANTLY. When I got another replacement pot from Traeger, the flameouts went away.

I leave pellets in my smokers for months and months on end. Never had a problem. Hell, I even had some in my Traeger for a couple of years between a use, I think. Never an issue for me.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learned another lesson today. Fired up the smoker for a pork loin, but it flamed out. Emptied the fire box and started over. Put on the loin and had to be gone a few hours. My wife checked the temperature for me but it flamed out again about 2 hours in.

Those of you with more experience may offer some advice. First time I used the smoker I filled the hopper with pellets. About 18 pounds worth. I'm assuming that the pellets have become damp from humidity and are difficult to burn. Should I use only 5 pounds or so of pellets at a time to keep them dry? Can I dry out the pellets in the oven or microwave? Is there another reason for the flame out?
Get your self a Bradley and never worry again

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've used a cheap Brinkman electric smoker for the last twenty years.

It holds 50 pounds of meat and works perfectly every time as long as I have power.

I guess I'm just a simple man.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A very experienced coworker told me it is more likely that my high smoke setting (10) combined with the temperature setting (225) was the problem rather than moisture in the pellets. I did fill the hopper before first use, but the grill is stored inside my shop.

He also tried the smoked Cheez-its I told him about from this thread. He said they did not turn out well, but may try again with just a touch of smoke for a few minutes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom