Penetrating Oils Compared

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently ran across this info, thought y'all would be interested too...
Machinist's Workshop magazine back in 2007 actually tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................. 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..............214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone.
Acetone is the main ingredient in nail polish remover. So readily available. The label on Nail Polish Remover says: "Acetone, water,other ingredients," fragrance & color. The label also warns that it can damage plastics. So using this stuff might be a bit of a challenge. I'm thinking a good container would be whatever the Nail Polish Remover comes in. Pour half of the NP Remover into a glass bottle, then refill the NP Remover bottle with ATF to make a 50-50 mix. Probably dispense the mixture by dipping a screwdriver into the bottle.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to use atf and "zepreserve" 50/50 on kingpins and ball joints, stuff works amazing. Smells horrid after being sprayed on hot stuff but it works. I also use atf as a cutting oil when drilling hard steel and ss.

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People love whatever they use regularly or that worked for them.

ATM I love the propane torch for heating the bolt to draw up some candle wax.

Not a mechanic but this approach worked for me to break loose driveshaft bolts when liquid wrench and PB blaster would not....loving it

P.S. Don't forget to use some anti-seize when reassembling.... It's like planting a tree - make the future better

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a significant difference between the 2007 tests by Mechanic's Workshop Magazine and the guy in this video. The video was uploaded in April of 2018.

I wonder what the testing criteria was for the 2007 tests. Did they work to where they applied all the options at the same time instead of the way the guy in the video did his. Also, did the 2007 tests have a "standard measure" of product applied to the bolts? The spray on products might have been different in the video with respect to how much of each was applied. If I had been testing, I think I would have sprayed a specific amount into measuring cups to be sure of having the same amount.

In the RV world, a number of folks have stated that one should spray WD-40 on their RV's leveling hydraulic jacks to protect the surface. Others have stated to use Blaster instead since WD-40 tends to attract dust.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 50/50 mix of ATF & acetone has been in a re-purposed medicine bottle for probably two years.
ATF&acetone.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom