Penetration and Overpenetration, how do you pick your loads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been carrying for a few years now, and in my constant quest to find what works best for me and refining how I carry, I have recently come across a question.

Penetration.... how much is too much? I have heard 12"-18" through denim is optimal, but what is really necessary? I am looking to ensure that against an average sized target, in a less that optimal situation, that I am not going to be shooting the person/car/wall standing 20 feet away on the other side of my target after the bullet passes through my target.

For background, I carry an XDS 3.3" 9mm daily, and when it tickles my fancy, a Ruger SP101 357 2.25". In 9mm I carry Hornady American Gunner 9mm +P 124gr and in the SP101 I carry Winchester Ranger 38spl +P+ 110gr.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FBI did statistics for police shootings and found only 17% hit the bad guy. The rest went wherever. It was an old article so I can't reference it now.

If the police send that many bullets downrange, I'm really not worried about overpenetration unless I'm in a crowded building.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gold Dot or HST should keep you covered. If you miss it wont matter, ur screwed if you hit an innocent. If it over penetrates, at least the velocity should be down enough that collateral damage will be at a minimum.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use regular buck shot in my shotgun at home. For my pistols I use currently some Remington ultimate defense JHP 38 specials for my snubby which I upgraded to from my handloaded LRN (I know, money was tight). I'm using what's left of a box of Hornady critical defense and some Winchester steel cased FMJ in a mag for my px4. Out of ammo for the LCP but im still figuring out what to use for it.

I have ammo management issues ATM lol.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FBI did statistics for police shootings and found only 17% hit the bad guy. The rest went wherever. It was an old article so I can't reference it now.

If the police send that many bullets downrange, I'm really not worried about overpenetration unless I'm in a crowded building.

This was a national pool of police officers, actual statistics vary from state to state, for example a NY City cop could barely hit the side of a barn.. etc, but I've found that a good percentage of Okla Law enforcement actually like guns and shoot on their own time for leisure quite frequently so theyre more likely to hit what they are aiming at,whereas many in commiefornia states only shoot annually to qualify...

Most conceal carry people can at least hit the barn door:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom