Pepper spray?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 million SHU at 8% capsasin.

It will be a perfectly acceptable product but no better than a great number of others.

Michael Brown
Thank you sir. I want to get some for my daughter. That and/or a knife is all she can carry to work and I'm not even positive about the knife. And it's in a bad part of town.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally find OC spray to be an outstanding tool if used properly i.e. as a means of retreat and pre-emptively.

It's not a substitute for training and tactics and it certainly doesn't always take the fight out of folks. In my career I've sprayed or been present for hundreds of OC uses; sometimes it works perfectly and stops aggression right away and sometimes its next to useless but most of the time its somewhere in between.

Most of the problems I've seen with OC have been when it is not used properly i.e. AFTER the fight has begun. For OC spray to work as designed it should be a suprise and done pre-emptively.

Michael Brown

I do use it before the fight...and still have to fight....I don't have the option of spray and run like most other people who carry it, I have to go hands on after I spray. I think a tazer is more effective than the spray any day...talk about taking the fight out of someone.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do use it before the fight...and still have to fight....I don't have the option of spray and run like most other people who carry it, I have to go hands on after I spray. I think a tazer is more effective than the spray any day...talk about taking the fight out of someone.

You have to go hands on no matter what; that's the nature of being a police officer.

No matter what tool you use you have to possess solid skills.

The taser is great but it is being hyped into something it's not.

Contrary to the literature, it is not a CNS inhibitor. It's still pain compliance as much as the manufacturers would like you to believe otherwise.

I took 16 seconds from the prongs of an X26 at the instructor class while bear-hugging another instructor. The instructor with the taser then detached and did a drive stun to my neck to force me to let go.

Most tools can be resisted with intense mental preperation.

The taser is a good tool, just like OC, but is best used pre-emptively like most other tools and doesn't eliminate the need to go hands on.

Michael Brown

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i agree totally with what you are saying Michael...and that is why I say no tool should be relied upon as a substitute for good physical fitness and sound defensive / offensive tactics.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
um 8% capsaicinoid does not exist.

pure capsaicin is 10% capsaicinoid. That can burn skin down to the lower skin cells and blister mouth and lungs and permanently blind you.

the top four on the market are:
American Defense (ADR)
BodyGuard (LE-10)
CQB (Level III)
Sabre Red

these are not available on the civilian market as far as I know since the strength is so high.

these four are only 1.25 % capsaicinoid and they are pure hell. CQB is what we carry and I dont care who you are....it will hurt. I took my blast and hated it, felt it for three days

Fox is only .66 % at its strongest

welling51

New to the site!
Reaction score
i to have see the power of the fox 5.3 can do i had some friends that asked an officer who was teaching a class to spray them to see if they were tough and they started to freak out i be around it is bad enough for me i went and got some for my job havent had to use it yet

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am FBI certified Less Lethal Munitions Instructor. I've been sprayed with about a half dozen different products. Pepper is Pepper it all works. The more concentrated or higher SHU it is really translates to extending the length of the recovery time.

Simple Rules to live by.

Focus on spraying the eyes, it may burn a little elsewhere, but only in the eyes does it do it's magic.

Carry "Police Grade" products. The juice is all good, but what you are buying is the better can, propellant, and seal. Lots of people are carrying full bottles of pepper spray that have already leaked off the pressure. When they try and spray it they will get nothing.

Don't test spray the can you carry. It may not seal back completely and over a month leak off the pressure.

Don't buy the baby key chain sizes. Carry a minimum of 2oz size with 3oz being better.

The big 9oz bottles are great to carry in your car.

Don't carry any fogger products. You need a stream (some manuf call it cone).

I carry Def-Tec Mk 4 stream on duty and ALS brand "Top Cop" off duty. The Top Cop is the hottest I have ever been sprayed with.

It says a lot about a person's good character that they carry a firearm yet still carry pepper spray. It is inexpensive, it works, and it saves lives and greater violence.

50Shooter

Latest posts

Top Bottom