Permanent attachment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is silver soldering a BATFE approved method of attaching a flash hider? I couldn't find the legal references, search-fu is weak this early in the AM.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is silver soldering a BATFE approved method of attaching a flash hider? I couldn't find the legal references, search-fu is weak this early in the AM.

According to the ATF NFA Handbook: Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my silver solder today. I'll be putting the barrel together in the next few days. I'll keep everyone posted and be sure to take/post pics.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some reading. IMO using a good 56% silver solder paste and some heat stopping paste is probably the best method. I've seen a few pin/welds fail easily.

Working on a pretty elaborate thread protector for an ops inc 3rd model barrel profile all day. Probably have about 5 hours in it so far. Could reproduce it much faster but it has been a very interesting project so far. If I was going to produce it it would be two parts tigged together. 5" deep bore is not fun for me. I need a beefier boring bar. Started life as 304 round bar. Tubing would be the way to go welding the threaded piece in the end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom