Permanent attachment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if your not getting at least a medium cherry red your not hot enough. propane torch won't get it. takes acetelyne to do it.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in Edmond. It's getting hot, I just don't think I'm getting it hot enough, barely a red glow. I can go hotter, just wasn't sure how red it needs to be. The solder I got melts at 1250* so the MAPP gas should be g2g.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the solder is not sticking then your not getting the part hot enough ( possibly not clean enough too). If your hell bent on mapp gas then look into a turbo torch.

Here is the first result of a super quick search. reading it might shed a little light http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?33621-Brazing-steel-with-mapp

I'm in Edmond. It's getting hot, I just don't think I'm getting it hot enough, barely a red glow. I can go hotter, just wasn't sure how red it needs to be. The solder I got melts at 1250* so the MAPP gas should be g2g.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Just because mapp will get that hot doesn't mean you have enough volume going on to get the localized area hot enough, the rest of the barrel is acting as a heat sink and soaking up the energy before it rises to the level you need in the localized area.

A butane torch will hit 2600 farenheit but the little hobbyist models don't have enough volume to brass braze a radiator repair... I know.

I could silver solder AC joints when setting new compressors with a mapp torch when the Oxy/acetylene rig was out of gas, but it sure was slow and painful. That thick walled barrel is going to soak a lot more heat up than the copper tubing in an AC line set.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does this look like it's getting hot enough?

[Broken External Image]

**edit**
It must have been hot enough because I can't remove the QD mount without possibly damaging other parts of the rifle.

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like the FH is getting hot but I can't tell if the barrel is getting hot enough. If you decide to order the tepilaq then i'd get some heat stop paste, too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom