1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Permanently Attached

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by sharkbait, Feb 28, 2011.

1. sharkbait

sharkbait Sharpshooter

My search fu is weak.

When "permanently" attaching a MB or FH to a barrel to make the overall length 16" does the NFA or ATF define "permanently attached"? If so please give a link or direction where I can find it, I don't want to be standing in front of a judge saying "but some guy on the internet said I could..."

2. Honeybee

Honeybee Sharpshooter

NFA handbook 2.1.3

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
    the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
    attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
    soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
    into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
    furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
    measured.