Pet healthcare insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m typically of the mindset that insurance is a scam, but right now I’m considering it. My Drahthaar Clyde has some sort of a blockage. I’ve spent a little over a grand getting him sorted out this past week, to no avail. A second set of X-rays today show that he might have a previously unseen blockage. I’m already broke, and this vet bit is gonna hurt, exploratory surgery isn’t cheap. In the future, I’m thinking pet insurance might be helpful. Anyone have experience with this?
8520650B-ADC2-478D-84E2-F3C33C7514EC.jpeg

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No advice on the insurance. Is it in his gut? We had to take our lab'/retriever mix in and they found some sort of blockage on x-ray and said we'd better get him opened up before sepsis started. They opened him up and found a twisted intestine, been ok since. I know what ya mean on the $$$, that trip was $700

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
No advice on the insurance. Is it in his gut? We had to take our lab'/retriever mix in and they found some sort of blockage on x-ray and said we'd better get him opened up before sepsis started. They opened him up and found a twisted intestine, been ok since. I know what ya mean on the $$$, that trip was $700
They can’t tell if it’s in his gut or small intestine, have to open him up and look. It all started out with what we thought was a bad batch of food, and trying to get his digestive system restarted. Since then, about 9 days ago, he’s not ate or drank a lot, which complicates interpreting what they’re seeing.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our insurance for dogs and cats is like the canadians have for old folks. We love 'em all dearly, but we never spend more than $100 on 'em at the vet. You can bet if you get insurance they're going to get their money back. They're a company that works for profit.
Putting my $2k (+everything else I’ve spent since getting him) dog down because of a >$100 bill doesn’t exactly add up for me though.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Putting my $2k (+everything else I’ve spent since getting him) dog down because of a >$100 bill doesn’t exactly add up for me though.
Yeah, I talk a big game and we stuck to it for our working dogs growing up, but those dogs lived to work more than they lived to be our companion.

Our companion dogs we have now would make it a VERY tough call and I hope I never have to make it.

I really hope they get him sorted out, I really hate seeing anything we love like that suffer.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I talk a big game and we stuck to it for our working dogs growing up, but those dogs lived to work more than they lived to be our companion.

Our companion dogs we have now would make it a VERY tough call and I hope I never have to make it.

I really hope they get him sorted out, I really hate seeing anything we love like that suffer.
Yeah, Doc made it sound like its another day. She's pretty damn good, so hopefully he gets fixed up right and heals quick. I was really hoping to get him out once or twice more this season. He is supposed to be getting tested this spring as well, and now I don't know if that's gonna be a possibility, which really sucks.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand. Lots of folks are like that. For us, it's always been a hard limit. We always talk it over with the kids, give the old fella a great day of whatever they can handle, then a quiet .22. Then we go puppy shopping for a new one. We've only had to put a few down, but it's never been a question if we were going to spend thousands of dollars on a dog. As they used to say, 'it's just a dog'. That dough might have to go to fight cancer for one of us some day.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’ve got a new pup and weighed the options versus risk. Looking at what they do and don’t cover I decided no. I did spend thousands on my last dog and it was sentimental more than rational. She lived 15 years and was a great companion. Insurance companies always win in the end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom