Pet healthcare insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had insurance for Angus our English Bulldog. It paid really well. It started off at 35 a month, at the end his insurance was 87 a month. The insurance was worth it. When get our next bull dog we will get the insurance as well. I can't recall the insurance but it covered him nationwide, our choice of vets and it paid 80% and sometimes 100%.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to be , you took dog in . blood test, stool sample, it got a shot or some pills $30-40 and he was good in a few days. Then came pet insurance. and overnight it became 10-20 tests and x-rays, "By Golly I don't know whats wrong" but your Deductable is $500 And just like that Vets joined the medical profession and became dumber than a box of rocks.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about pet insurance, but you might check out carecredit.com. I had a friend use it a couple of years ago for their dog. It’s basically a line of credit that can be used for medical needs for your family and your pets.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about pet insurance, but you might check out carecredit.com. I had a friend use it a couple of years ago for their dog. It’s basically a line of credit that can be used for medical needs for your family and your pets.
I asked the old lady about it, cause I was pretty sure she had one of those. Turns out she does. Looked into it, the will offer 6-24 interest free on a purchase, as long as its paid back within that time frame. Intrest rates are high if you wanna carry a balance though. But I do not, I dont like having any debt, aside from real estate debt. But it would be nice to spread the damage out across a few months, thats for sure.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I asked the old lady about it, cause I was pretty sure she had one of those. Turns out she does. Looked into it, the will offer 6-24 interest free on a purchase, as long as its paid back within that time frame. Intrest rates are high if you wanna carry a balance though. But I do not, I dont like having any debt, aside from real estate debt. But it would be nice to spread the damage out across a few months, thats for sure.
I have a hard time turning down 0% interest if it is a purchase I was going to make anyway. Using someone else's money for free while I can keep my own working for me is a hard deal to pass.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's my philosophy, if you can't spend more than $100 on a dog, then you shouldn't own a dog. Then again, it sounds like I may treat mine less like they are expendable. Not sure that philosophy is all that common either.

With regards to the pet insurance, just make sure you read the policy and restrictions/conditions. I've heard good stories, heard bad stories. Don't have enough experience otherwise because I never bought it. However, if I were to get a puppy of certain breeds, I'd definitely look into it. Some of the bulldogs for starters.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my dogs and cats more than most of my human family and have spent a small fortune on vet bills over the years, but my attitude has changed. If my pets have an issue that can be resolved for around a couple hundred bucks, I’ll do it, but if it’s going to require surgery or some kinds of long term medication, it’s not going to happen.
I haven’t been to a doctor of any kind myself in 19 years, so I really can’t justify spending money on my pets I‘m not willing to spend on myself. :anyone:

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man that’s tough! Sorry to hear about that situation. I don’t know anything about pet insurance, but I sure hope things work out for you and your dog.

I’m not really much of dog person honestly. I would have a hard time spending that kind of money on an animal, personally. But I have friends and family who are big time dog lovers and I totally get it.

If I was in your situation, I would probably just break out the credit card… I always hate racking up the credit card, but it is what it is. Immediately begin paying it down aggressively.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's my philosophy, if you can't spend more than $100 on a dog, then you shouldn't own a dog. Then again, it sounds like I may treat mine less like they are expendable. Not sure that philosophy is all that common either.
Yeah, some people are like that.

I typed up a big response to the "you shouldn't own a dog if you're not willing to spend fat cash on it" line, but I deleted it. It's always easy to say what someone else should do. We're just different. I've only had to put down a few dogs in my long life and it's hard every time, but I wouldn't trade the new puppies (which grew into great dogs) for all the tea in china, let alone a couple more strained and painful years with the old guys. And that's a fact.

Latest posts

Top Bottom