Pet healthcare insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I operate a dog rescue, and we have tried the pet insurance route in the past. We had nothing but problems. Every claim we filed was denied for some reason or other. I don’t remember the name of the company. I saw a comment on Progressive, we may take a look at that.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, in our house (you do you, buggaboo) vets are for vaccinations and then only if your dog gets outside. Nothing more.

I wasn't suggesting that you go to the vet. I was defining basic since you were confused.

Odd that you're yelling "strawman!" out of one side and saying I need to go pay a vet for flea and ticks (now that's funny), heartworm, etc. You can't have it both ways.

It's not odd, Again, you are just insistent on portraying an argument or scenario that I didn't relay or doesn't apply. Here again, you just need to read what I said, and understand it. I didn't say you (or anyone else) needs to go to the vet for flea&tick, or heartworm. I don't. I said it was a cost and it's weird that you employ the compartmentalization of costs like you do. But you do you precious, as you say. :D

Occasional vaccination depending on what's likely to happen to him (once a year for us), and the occasional 3am wakeups to see what they're barking at. That's the cost. Anything else is a choice. Dogs are very, very low maintenance. Humans make them high maintenance.

I can agree that humans have made some breeds "high maintenance" in terms of breeding and health issues. However, otherwise healthy breeds can have a random issue. I mean if you just off them with a .22 because it's below $100 or bust, then more power to you. You have relayed that they are expendable as you can just go get a new one. Glad none of my dogs are in your care lol. Naturally, we differ, as I see them as part of the family and try to give them the best life I can within reason. Now before you exaggerate that statement, that just means, good food, exercise, and reasonable health care.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I operate a dog rescue, and we have tried the pet insurance route in the past. We had nothing but problems. Every claim we filed was denied for some reason or other. I don’t remember the name of the company. I saw a comment on Progressive, we may take a look at that.

Someone mentioned Nationwide and I will say from direct experience of working with them and Progressive...... try Nationwide lol. Progressive is typically garbage when it comes to claims. Granted again, no experience with pet policies, but as a whole....

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Naturally, we differ, as I see them as part of the family and try to give them the best life I can within reason. Now before you exaggerate that statement, that just means, good food, exercise, and reasonable health care.
At that point we only disagree on what is considered 'reasonable' healthcare. We both see them as a part of the family, though not on par with cherished humans. And we give them the best life we can while they're healthy. It's only the moment they turn unhealthy that we part ways.

I've seen some folks spend thousands on their dogs to get cancer cut out or gut work done, only to have them suffer and die in months. I've also seen some folks that let their dogs run wild, never flea dip them, and never vaccinate them and 12 years later that old hound dies on the front porch barking at a ghost.

When it's all said and done, and our boys are in the ground I just prefer to have those thousands of dollars available to spend on my own healthcare. We all have different priorities.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get it. Costs can get up there. Some people say " it's only a dog/cat."
Eff that, they are family. My Lady works as a manager at a animal hospital in Berkeley. They had a patient with some sort of bladder blockage. Cost was well over $5k, owner didn't even blink.
Pets aren't throw away objects. Some people in this thread shouldn't own a dog/pet... maybe a rock, if that's in your budget.

Latest posts

Top Bottom