Peterson Cartridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered some of their brass in 6.5 creedmoor lastnight. I went with the large rifle primer option since that's what I've been using up to this point. I ordered the match-grade. They also offer select-grade which is guaranteed to be within 1 grain by weight and 1 thousandth by length across the 50 rounds. They offer both srp and lrp in several calibers. I'm not sure about the other calibers but in 6.5 Creedmoor they also offer a "fat-neck" version which is meant for guys who want to turn necks. No matter the grade, all their brass is shipped in a plastic 50 round reusable case. It's priced between Lapua and Hornady. That's not taking into account the case it comes in. I will do some weighing/measuring once it arrives. Besides straight from Peterson it seems to only be available at Grafs, Brownells or EuroOptic. EuroOptic had the cheapest price but the shipping difference negated the savings. Price for match-grade ranged from $37 to $43 per 50. Select grade was about $5 more if memory serves. I'm also lead to believe it's Made in USA!
https://www.petersoncartridge.com/

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am very impressed with their 260 brass. To me, the quality is close to Lapua. I haven't pushed my loads to max pressure yet but I am already loading them hotter than my Lapua brass without any pressure signs. We had good success out to 1200 yards with them with basically no brass prep work. For now I think I'll stay with the LRP because I don't want to deal with the possibility of pierced primers some shooters are having with the SRP due to firing pin protrusion.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am very impressed with their 260 brass. To me, the quality is close to Lapua. I haven't pushed my loads to max pressure yet but I am already loading them hotter than my Lapua brass without any pressure signs. We had good success out to 1200 yards with them with basically no brass prep work. For now I think I'll stay with the LRP because I don't want to deal with the possibility of pierced primers some shooters are having with the SRP due to firing pin protrusion.
That's good to hear JCann!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Cowcatcher, post: 3277570, member: 43171" I'm also lead to believe it's Made in USA!
[/QUOTE]

Yep. Their web site says "Proudly Made In The USA!"

I need to try some, but I'm so covered up with brass right now!

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay here's the case evaluation numbers straight from the Peterson box. I haven't loaded any of it yet. This is a comparison of 50 pieces. This is the Match Grade. The Select Grade should boast even better numbers. I would have gone with the Select had it been in-stock.

Case weight: 170.7gn-172.9gn
40 pieces are within 1.3gn of each other. 32 pieces are within 1gn of each other. 24 pieces within .5gn of each other.

Brass overall length: 1.910-1.912
Not sure I'll even mess with trying to even them up before loading them this time.

Headspace measured with Hornady comparator C .375": 1.555-1.5555
That is what a piece of Federal or Hornady measures after coming out of my FL die.

Case mouth: I.D.-.262, O.D.-.291
No variation amongst the lot. Case mouth walls measure to be .003 thicker than Hornady. However the I.D. of the Peterson brass mouth matches that of brass that has been run through my FL die. There was not one dinged case mouth.

So in summary I see no need to run this Peterson brass through my FL die at this time.
I don't know if any of this info was helpful to anyone but I can say that on my bench with this lot of brass I'm very satisfied with it. I do believe it to have less case volume than Hornady since the Peterson weighs around 20gn more than Hornady. This Peterson does weigh close to the same as Federal cases I have from some Federal Non-Typical Whitetail ammo I've shot.
IMG_5780.JPG

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How consistent is the case neck thickness ?

IOW, is the case neck wall (the 'mouth' as you are calling it) the same thickness all the way around ?

I have some brass, not that brand or cartridge, that I turned .003 off the neck O.D. and never touched one side.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How consistent is the case neck thickness ?

IOW, is the case neck wall (the 'mouth' as you are calling it) the same thickness all the way around ?

I have some brass, not that brand or cartridge, that I turned .003 off the neck O.D. and never touched one side.
I did not measure the wall thickness but I did spin the cases when measuring inside and outside case mouth and found no jump on the dial. That info plus the case mouth measurement info above says to me the wall thickness is very consistent across the lot.
I will measure just the wall of the case mouth on em when I get home but I do believe what I said above answers the question.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know for a fact, but the primer flash holes may be drilled as well. I couldn't see any evidence inside the case of the flash holes being punched. Again, I could be wrong here, but they looked clean inside. If they are drilled it just shows another level of product commitment and quality control.

I also read that Prime Ammo is making their 6.5 CM ammo now with Peterson brass.

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know for a fact, but the primer flash holes may be drilled as well. I couldn't see any evidence inside the case of the flash holes being punched. Again, I could be wrong here, but they looked clean inside. If they are drilled it just shows another level of product commitment and quality control.

I also read that Prime Ammo is making their 6.5 CM ammo now with Peterson brass.
You may be right. I believe the flash holes have been deburred. It appears there is a very light chamfer around the flash hole. I did find one case that had a tiny chip on the inside flash hole. A very light flick with the depth gauge on my calipers popped it right off. Pic below shows curly cue chip in the case and then on the pink postit. I purchased Sinclairs deburring tool which I don't like and I'm returning. I ordered the Redding but it's not here yet. Doesn't look like I need it for these cases.
IMG_5781.JPG
IMG_5782.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom