Petition to Repeal 1934 NFA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not always. Sometimes it's just dumb to go into a fight you know you can't win. In this case it could even make the infringement worse. This has been the case for at the very least the last 8 years. Inflation adjust the stamps? I just found an online calculator that says $200 in 1934 equates to $3658. Would you like to see that happen?

Lets see what Trump, Jr. can talk his dad into, he's a gun guy. If Trump would push for it or at least say he'd sign a repeal, maybe Congress would do it. They're nutless and won't do it without backing. ATF isn't just going to quit enforcing NFA34 and congress will have to repeal it to make it go away. I doubt very very seriously they are willing right now.
So basically because you think it won't happen we are supposed to just say "forget it"?? That's the attitude that has led to all these dang regulations in the first place. The old what's the point attitude. We need the exact opposite of that. I don't care if it has a chance or not, I am going to do all I can to make sure it does. And every 2A supporter should be doing the same.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So basically because you think it won't happen we are supposed to just say "forget it"?? That's the attitude that has led to all these dang regulations in the first place. The old what's the point attitude. We need the exact opposite of that. I don't care if it has a chance or not, I am going to do all I can to make sure it does. And every 2A supporter should be doing the same.
I agree. We are struggling to get 100,000. Just think if we would have hit 1,000,000 already. All we are showing them is that we will lay down and take it.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. We are struggling to get 100,000. Just think if we would have hit 1,000,000 already. All we are showing them is that we will lay down and take it.
Seems to me to be a consistent characteristic of conservatives. They win a battle and think they've won the war. They'll go home to go on with life. The left Never. Ever. Stops. That's why we will see constant challenges and/or disruptions to everything Trump or congress will attempt to do in the next 4 years. Pro-liberty people should be putting on a full court press right now.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to me to be a consistent characteristic of conservatives. They win a battle and think they've won the war. They'll go home to go on with life. The left Never. Ever. Stops. That's why we will see constant challenges and/or disruptions to everything Trump or congress will attempt to do in the next 4 years. Pro-liberty people should be putting on a full court press right now.
The left also has the prescience to made incremental progress. Remember, for every action, there is a reaction. The last thing we need to do is put the left in a position where they feel their back is to the wall, and they feel like they have to pull out all the stops; more importantly, we don't want to put the center--the people who are willing to listen--in a position that they find shocking. Which do you think is going to shock them more, make them think the proposal is crazy: reopening the registry (repeal the Hughes Amendment), or make machine guns available in hardware stores with no background check, let alone registration (the situation pre-NFA34)?

Yes, NFA34 (and GCA68, and the Hughes Amendment, and quite a few other things) should go away--but pushing for everything all at once is counterproductive. To get to where we want to be, we need to change more than the statutes--we need to change the culture that produced the laws. That takes time and steady, constant effort.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

No not at all. What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter one whit whether we "forget it" or whether Otis wants to call some gun owners cowards if we don't have a congress and White House that will play ball. Whining and name calling will never get it done. You want to repeal NFA? It simple. Change congress or amend the constitution with the proper verbiage. Or we can awaken the FUDDs to the fact that NFA even exists. The very purpose of the NFA was to be a de facto ban. Roosevelt knew an outright ban wouldn't pass muster with the 2A so they put on a tax that was several times the cost of the guns he wanted to rid society of. It pretty much worked didn't it? I'd bet that the vast majority in Congress are just like the vast majority of people. My BIL has owned guns his entire life but he just hunts and he didn't know you could own a machine gun legally. Think about it, most people think machine guns are illegal to own. Let that sink in...

All these petitions are going to do (if they even get the required signatures) is force the WH to issue a statement that they take a position. Obama, if he even would have bothered to respond, would have just scribbled out some illegible scratchings on the paper because he would be laughing so hard. Trump? Who knows? He'll probably be able to write out NO and it will just die right there. You really think McConnell and Ryan will let a repeal hit the floor? Get real. Then get rid of the FUDDs instead of getting upset at failed petitions...

Latest posts

Top Bottom