Physics Debate

Which of the 5 diagrams best shows the shape of the rope as the helicopter flies through the air to

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say A, assuming wind resistance is negligible. The cable is effected by several forces, gravity, momentum and acceleration. We are supposed to assume the helicopter has been flying for a period of time. The entirety of the cable should be moving without wind resistance at the same rate of speed as the helicopter assuming only gravity and acceleration remain constant, w/o aerodynamic load.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weight of the cable itself should add to the "straightness" (rigidity?) of the upper part. The lower part is carrying less weight and would be more likely to drag back in the "wind" created by forward motion (figure C).

Just a country boy's 2¢ ... :drunk2:
___

Snattlerake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say A, assuming wind resistance is negligible. The cable is effected by several forces, gravity, momentum and acceleration. We are supposed to assume the helicopter has been flying for a period of time. The entirety of the cable should be moving without wind resistance at the same rate of speed as the helicopter assuming only gravity and acceleration remain constant, w/o aerodynamic load.
A), with wind negligible, like in a hover?
There is wind resistance.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A), with wind negligible, like in a hover?
There is wind resistance.
1637600865104.png

I agree, but from the wording I am using a strict interpretation. I agree, there would will be some wind, some wind resistance some aerodynamic load... For those who fly I am an amateur physicist, not an aeronautical engineer! Even worse I only spent the night once in a Holiday Inn Express, and that was a few years ago...

Top Bottom