Physics Debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the 5 diagrams best shows the shape of the rope as the helicopter flies through the air to

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The correct answer will be given after 7 days.

You must choose one, you can change your vote, your answers can be viewed by everyone, debate is welcome.
No cheating, and have fun!

1637550710835.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many variables left out.
Air speed of helo?
Wind direction in relationship to helos flight path?
Rope diameter?
Sisal, wire or nylon rope?
Rope construction, braid, twisted?
All the above can determine the outcome.
Watched lots of helicopters flying around trailing cables. They are transporting Geo phones for oil field exploration in bags, then fly back for more with an empty cable.
How can wind friction not be a factor?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lived in a little bowl on the side of a mountain in Colorado. There were lots of comm towers on the mountain. Occasionally a helicopter would fly from my neighbor's property and airlift equipment to the top of the mountain. I recall seeing the rope hanging in a straight line angled to the rear (like B in the diagram) on the return trip.

Aside from that, get much beyond simple arithmetic and I'm lost. I could never even begin to solve this problem mathematically.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too many variables left out.
Air speed of helo?
Wind direction in relationship to helos flight path?
Rope diameter?
Sisal, wire or nylon rope?
Rope construction, braid, twisted?
All the above can determine the outcome.
Watched lots of helicopters flying around trailing cables. They are transporting Geo phones for oil field exploration in bags, then fly back for more with an empty cable.
How can wind friction not be a factor?
Wind friction is a factor and all of the above does not matter in the basic experiment. Speed is relevant to the actual outcome only to the angle but does not affect the shape.

Latest posts

Top Bottom