Physics Debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the 5 diagrams best shows the shape of the rope as the helicopter flies through the air to

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure on the rope but was taught at A&P school "Don't touch the cable until it's been able to touch the ground" due to static electricity. Never had a chance or was inclined to test that one out. So what's the correct answer with no wind?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say A, assuming wind resistance is negligible. The cable is effected by several forces, gravity, momentum and acceleration. We are supposed to assume the helicopter has been flying for a period of time. The entirety of the cable should be moving without wind resistance at the same rate of speed as the helicopter assuming only gravity and acceleration remain constant, w/o aerodynamic load.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cable hanging has the same stiffness through it's entire length and should hang straight.
The end of it will slightly move up and down so the closest answer for me would be B

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say A, assuming wind resistance is negligible. The cable is effected by several forces, gravity, momentum and acceleration. We are supposed to assume the helicopter has been flying for a period of time. The entirety of the cable should be moving without wind resistance at the same rate of speed as the helicopter assuming only gravity and acceleration remain constant, w/o aerodynamic load.
A), with wind negligible, like in a hover?
There is wind resistance.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A), with wind negligible, like in a hover?
There is wind resistance.
1637600865104.png

I agree, but from the wording I am using a strict interpretation. I agree, there would will be some wind, some wind resistance some aerodynamic load... For those who fly I am an amateur physicist, not an aeronautical engineer! Even worse I only spent the night once in a Holiday Inn Express, and that was a few years ago...

Latest posts

Top Bottom