Physics Debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the 5 diagrams best shows the shape of the rope as the helicopter flies through the air to

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many variables left out.
Air speed of helo?
Wind direction in relationship to helos flight path?
Rope diameter?
Sisal, wire or nylon rope?
Rope construction, braid, twisted?
All the above can determine the outcome.
Watched lots of helicopters flying around trailing cables. They are transporting Geo phones for oil field exploration in bags, then fly back for more with an empty cable.
How can wind friction not be a factor?

You forgot about the average wind speed of an unladen Swallow.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A physics prof who’s trying to make sure that you’re paying attention to the details, because details matter in physics.

Also, “not negligible” isn’t a double negative.
It’s poorly Worded. Science writing should be clear and concise. That physics professor works for a jr college.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually it is a scientist's job to sort out the information and come up with the best answer (may not necessarily be right) no matter how poorly the information is presented. The best answer should never be political... I will step down from my soapbox.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually it is a scientist's job to sort out the information and come up with the best answer (may not necessarily be right) no matter how poorly the information is presented. The best answer should never be political... I will step down from my soapbox.
The scientists job is in the proper collection of information(data) first and foremost.

Data interpretation can only be as good as the scientific procedures that produced and collected the data. Thus the need for clear and unambiguous data.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s poorly Worded. Science writing should be clear and concise. That physics professor works for a jr college.
I agree.
There are several articles I'm currently reading about Physics being explained poorly using words, especially English.

As I stated above the context of the word negligible used you can construe it to mean a negative but it is closer to zero than either positive or negative.

https://academia.stackexchange.com/...at-are-too-easily-misinterpreted-and-can-this
let me pick a particular statement: "the electrostatic force is mediated by the exchange of photons".

When a physicist (or a lecturer) says this, they mean one thing: the process described in detail by QED. When a student (or an amateur) hears this, they think of two electrons, and they imagine photons flying between them. You can imagine what follows: questions like "how do they know where to fly", or "what is the frequency of these photons", or "where does the energy to create those photons come from" etc.

https://www.lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/physlang.htm

LETS CLEAN UP OUR PHYSICS LANGUAGE​

by Donald E. Simanek​

"Lest you think that I am quibbling over minor points of language, I note that in my experience many of the misconceptions people harbor have their origins in imprecise language... Precise language is needed in science, not to please pedants but to avoid absorbing nonsense that will take years, if ever, to purge from our minds." - Dr. Craig F. Bohren, from his "Clouds in a Glass of Beer: Simple experiments in atmospheric physics"

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Do-you-think-that-English-is-a-good-language-for-Science
Question
Asked 12th Oct, 2012
Ana María Sánchez Peralta
Ana María Sánchez Peralta

Do you think that English is a good language for Science?​

I write literary books and scientific articles and for expression of more details I prefer my native language because I think it is more complex and has a wider vocabulary. On the other hand, English expresses well many things with less words. When I translate scientific papers to English, I prefer the latter because it makes things clear with less words. (And with this amount of words normally it is more clear than with more words in my language). I think it is a good language for science.

Latest posts

Top Bottom