Picked up a few goodies from Primary Arms...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still haven't gotten that Leupold scope yet, but I decided to try out a few of Primary Arms' optics (also got the DD solid rear Iron on in place of the Troy Battle sight flip-up on my KISS Carbine thanks to jcbarlow - I got your feedback coming man, I haven't forgotten about you).

This is their M3 clone and the micro (with their non-cant mount and QD Riser mount respectively):

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

So far, I'm reasonably impressed. The locking mechanism on the riser for the Micro was a bit tricky to adjust - thought I had it, but it was actually just stiff and loosened up on the rail so I had to tighten it down a little more - I'll see how solid it is next time I shoot it (I think I just didn't have it tight enough and the stiffness fooled me).

The coating on the objective-end lens on both optics is very bright and looks obvious from the forward end of the gun, so stealthiness isn't a strongpoint (I am wishing I got the kill-flash 3rd gen version of the micro, but its not that big of a deal and the M3-style will accept a standard kill-flash).

The inside of the M3-style has a little bit of reflection off of the top of the laser housing (I'm assuming that's what it is) that you can see while looking through it, but that's barely noticable in just the right conditions (I only noticed it inside; when its pretty dark, or with any kind of outside light is present, its not noticeable).

The laser in the Micro stands up off of the bottom of the tube enough to see it when looking at the lowest point of the optic (its noticeable when cowitnessing with irons, but it doesn't prevent me from using the optic - its just an annoyance - and its much more noticeable with the short-range larger circle sight aperture than with the long-range smaller one).

So far, they seem very durable and well made. I found a little bit of left-over from casting on the riser mount for the micro, but the mount for the M3 and the riser for the Micro both seem to be well enough made (weapons grade as opposed to cheap airsoft quality).

I have to keep reminding myself that the cost of these things when finding annoyances that I didn't have to deal with on the Aimpoints or EOTechs I've owned.

Brightness settings on both are more than adequate for the brightest conditions outside. The M3-style comes with flip-ups and the micro came with bikini covers. I put about 100 rounds through both guns so far (it was getting late and busted them out after pistols the other evening at the range) and both optics seem to work well (hold zero, no flickering or any QC issues).

The dot is not as crisp as Aimpoint's, but outside, I don't notice the "starring" effect nearly as much.

Adjustment was not nearly as crisp as my Aimpoint, but the knobs seem solid and repeatable (did a quick box test with both and they came back to where they were originally on the irons). You can tell that there are actual bushings inside - there is a solid audible click and good feel, but up against the real Aimpoint, its like comparing the Falcon Optics knobs to a Leupold MK IV - the Primary Arms are good enough, but there's a noticeable difference.

I'm going to get a few more pics and shoot a lot with these and post any updates. I got mine from Primary Arms website for retail cost (shipping wasn't too pricey at all and the order went through quickly and I got it to my door on Monday and I think I ordered it late Thursday afternoon).

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about this company. I still wouldn't put anything on a serious fighting gun but for training setups or for people who want to try an aimpoint style optic out before dropping $400 plus I can see the merit in them. Now... what's up with that ginormous safety selector?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about this company. I still wouldn't put anything on a serious fighting gun but for training setups or for people who want to try an aimpoint style optic out before dropping $400 plus I can see the merit in them. Now... what's up with that ginormous safety selector?

Someone has lever-envy...

Don't be jealous man. Just be happy with the lever God gave you :D

That's my speed gun (its also got the Bill Springfield Trigger and BAD lever for the same reason). When I want to practice with standard AR controls, I use the one on top.

Truth be told, I'm probably going to get rid of one of these optics eventually and get the Leupold Shotgun scope and either an ADM or LaRue mount for it so I can hunt as well as compete.

That bottom rifle with the Micro on it is my Son's - that rifle overall is pretty darn light-weight (I may have to move the VFG further back due to his short 9 year old arms).

I also realized that I don't care for the old-school Daniel Defense QD mount point on the side of the rail because if you grip the handguards behind the VFG (which he does sometimes when his arm gets tired), its pretty sharp-cornered metal and not at all comfortable. I don't know how good Gear Sector's stuff is supposed to be, but I'm thinking of trying them out.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha! Lever envy.

Jason, owner of gear sector, is a good dude. He recently hooked me up with some stuff and then even refunded my money on a sling when I wasn't happy with it and didn't even ask for a refund. His sling mounts are cool but I don't think they'd be any less "sharp" then the DD one unless you ran it with Tango Down panels like they were designed around. You just need to get your 9 year old an SBR instead....

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha! Lever envy.

Jason, owner of gear sector, is a good dude. He recently hooked me up with some stuff and then even refunded my money on a sling when I wasn't happy with it and didn't even ask for a refund. His sling mounts are cool but I don't think they'd be any less "sharp" then the DD one unless you ran it with Tango Down panels like they were designed around. You just need to get your 9 year old an SBR instead....[/
ENABLER or PUSHER!! = ) Josh, I like your style. Corrupt them young!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom