Picked up our new rig today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since we are spending months at a time on the road in an RV we decided to upgrade our bumper pull RV to a 5th wheel.
Pulled it home today.

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! I think y’all are gonna need one of them dually trucker thingamabobs.

I’ll be happy to hold on to that other small truck thar in that picshure. :drunk5:

You know on account of being neighborly, and all.

Hope y’all enjoy and that it serves many miles, lasts many years and provide tons of great memories.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! I think y’all are gonna need one of them dually trucker thingamabobs.

I’ll be happy to hold on to that other small truck thar in that picshure. :drunk5:

You know on account of being neighborly, and all.

Hope y’all enjoy and that it serves many miles, lasts many years and provide tons of great memories.
Dang, that is one heck of an upgrade! Is the size of that fridge for real?
Thanks!
The fridge is 18 cubic feet with icemaker.
Don't need nor want a dually. Hate those things. It's a heavy rig at over 13000 lbs dry weight. The new 7.3 liter gas engine in that F-250 puts out 430 HP with 480 foot pounds of torque. Yeah, its not a diesel, but I didn't want a diesel either. It pulled the rig home just fine over 100 miles today in cruise control. Maintained the 70mph speed limit all the way. That 10 speed auto transmission is amazing.
The thing that convinced me to not go diesel is that in Colorado this summer, two diesel truck owners had major issues with their engines.
Only one mechanic in the entire San Juan valley that will work on them and he only does it on weekends.
One guy tossed in the towel, went to a dealer and bought a new truck. Took a beating on it, and the other spent an extra month there while his truck was being repaired.
The truck has been on order since early June. It finally got here three weeks ago.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Dad lives in Colorado. For 15 years, he pulled a large cargo trailer loaded with cast iron stoves all over that state and surrounding states. He used a F 350 Gas for some of same reasons you mentioned. Got 300K out of the first one and sold it. 2nd has about the same and he has kept it. Still pulls the gooseneck just fine and without a 10 speed trans.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice!

And 7.3 is plenty. They just get chitty mileage is all. Good engine other than that and like you said, no $5000 injector jobs and such. Keep good synthetic oil in it bumper to bumper and it’ll do you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a nice rig. Congrats!

I hear they've had a few problems with some of the plug wires on the Godzilla (presumably a bad batch from a supplier); Andre at TFLTruck did a video on it not long ago (it affected the 7.3 in a project truck), and, IIRC, he suggested picking up a few spares. Aside from that, it seems to be a pretty solid mill.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Dad lives in Colorado. For 15 years, he pulled a large cargo trailer loaded with cast iron stoves all over that state and surrounding states. He used a F 350 Gas for some of same reasons you mentioned. Got 300K out of the first one and sold it. 2nd has about the same and he has kept it. Still pulls the gooseneck just fine and without a 10 speed trans.
We pulled our 10,000lb + bumper pull all over Colorado and New Mexico through all the biggest mountain passes with out issue in a 2016 Tundra. Drove around diesels with steam coming out from under the hood going up passes like Wolf Creek and others.
That being said was passed by some diesel Pickups on our way up. The exhaust brake on a diesel is a great tool for towing while on the decent of a mountain pass. I'm not dismissing diesel pickups at all, but reading some of the threads on OSA and other internet forums, it's not the engine for me with all the reports of incredibly expensive repairs. Some are more reliable than others, I understand that.
We were maintaining the speed limit though. The selection of 4:30 gearing in the 4X4 rear and front ends makes the difference when towing. I think most folks don't want to even think about gearing that low because they think it will cost them dearly in fuel.
The computers and the 10 speed tranny pretty much helps on that. At highway speeds like 70mph the tach is running about 1900 rpm.
I got 15.6 I think it was the other day on a trip to OKC driving 70mph.
On the way home got 14.5 driving at 80 mph. Not too bad for an engine of that size IMHO after a mix of city and highway driving.
What the 10 speed transmission does is keep the rpm's low for mileage unless your towing, then when you need the gearing for a heavy load on a long steep grade, it kicks down to 6th gear which is still under 3000 rpm. Totally acceptable for me.
Actually has a nice roar when the engine bellies down to do it's work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom