Picking out a friend for bear country

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, its been a while. Probably close to two years, come to think of it. Been pretty caught up with work and life.

I've run across an opportunity to pursue a dream of mine, which to keep it as short and sweet as possible, it is to semi-retire and load out an SUV (an older Toyota Land Cruiser to be exact) and then travel wherever, really becoming my ideal version of an outdoorsman. Fishing, hunting, camping. I want to glamorize conservation and the outdoors once again to revitalize the passion we once had as a nation for taking care of our land and learning about it. Putting down the phones and getting outside. Photograph and blog my travels, perhaps start a nonprofit. Volunteer for the appropriate causes at times.

With that being said, two of the places I want to go are Alaska and the Rockies. I'm actually working out of state with the current job and am staying in Walden CO, nestled right in the middle of the Rockies. Its amazing out here. Both of these destinations are known to have bears, and I am sure my travels will take me into other popular hangout spots for bears. What would you guys suggest for protection in bear country? I've considered a rifle, perhaps a 45-70 or something equally brutish. However, with hiking, fishing, and photography I would rather not have a rifle to carry around/sling. Would be fine around the camp, but not out and about. I have considered wheel guns. I adore them, they're reliable, theres plenty of options for large calibers and barrel lengths. Also, having a revolver would allow me to have it with me in communist states, should my travels take me there. BUT, the limited ammo capacity is a definite downside when having adrenaline pumping through the ol veins as you have a grizzly considering the idea of smacking you around a bit. One thing I thought: Well, I'm a much better shot with an automatic than a revolver, and greater ammo capacity, an auto would be a definite win. Thats where I am so far really, any input on handguns or rifles would be welcome as I want soak up as much info as possible.

Little more background: so far, in my 29 years of living, I have not grown to like the Glock aesthetics or the grip angle. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a Glock. 1911 grip angles are preferable for me. With my research I have considered a Tanfoglio Witness Hunter in 10mm (link below). Power, ammo capacity, Does anyone have any experience with these, or this brand? Do we have any shops in Oklahoma that I could put my mitts on one? I would like to spend under $1100 for a gun, so if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open! Thanks guys.

http://eaacorp.com/guns/witness-hunter-tanfoglio-109

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
For your time, a pronghorn I found out in the hills yesterday. Theres so much to see and find out here!!!
IMG_3681.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 10mm is marginal for Griz. Probably work OK for black bears, but black bears are typically not much danger to humans. I'd go with a revo like the Ruger Alaskan in .44 mag, and practice with it to become more accurate.
That being said, Alaskan coastal brown bears have been killed with 9mm and .45ACP.
In one case by a professional guide that knew the anatomy of a bear and used it to his advantage.
You can't just shoot a bear or any other animal and expect it to go down with any caliber be it rifle or pistol caliber.
You have to hit the central nervous system or brain to stop it in its tracks. Shooting the heart/lungs/liver is a fatal shot but the bear can live long enough before it dies from blood loss to turn a human into a mass of jellied flesh and blood.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On other forums I hear it told that Alaskan LEOs are liking their Glocks in 10mm. Since you don't shoot them well, I'd say 12 gauge with slugs or a big bore revolver for the large bears. Me? I'd sling a 590A1 and stoke it with Brenneke 3" slugs.