Picking out a friend for bear country

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was gonna be another question I had... However, I can carry a long gun, correct? What kind of limitations are there? I've never considered Canada to be a sporting destination until a year or two ago, due to finances.

Thanks, its nice to be back. In regards to the spray and pray and Glock shooting abilities, I just shy away from Glocks largely because of my partiality to 1911 style grips and weapons. Its definitely something I can practice and most likely become rather proficient in, its just something I've never pursued. My reasoning in the Spray and Pray verbiage (to clear things up, because I am a firm believer in judicious and smart marksmanship) is due to the fact that if I have a 800 pound apex predator coming after me, my adrenaline and limited amount of time will be affording me more of a "hit the target as much as possible in the area you need to hit" rather than knocking hairs off the fleas rear end on the left ear of the bear.

I'm not completely ruling out wheel guns, or Glocks, but I was just stating initial concerns. I don't know that I am too worried about recoil when things are going down.... like I said, in high pressure situations such as that the only thing you feel is adrenaline. and maybe the turds running down your pant leg.

If you had a wheel gun, what would you choose?

Thats a good point, I haven't thought of that.

Just trying to consider all options.

If I were to choose a wheel gun? Easy. A Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull. I think someone already mentioned this one? Yeppers.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what my buddies in Montana and Alaska carry.

1. Unless they're specifically hunting a Griz or Kodiak.....they try to avoid them as much as possible.

2. When they're in bear country the choice of pistol is a 44 Mag. revolver. This is a self defense gun...one to try and deter, scare, or delay the bear. If they're lucky...maybe kill it.

3. The little brown or black shouldn't be much of a problem....I stated ...shouldn't be. All the ones that I have encountered saw me and turned the other way...except one that I would feed by leaving outdated produce from the grocery store. I would leave it by the river bank...several hundred yards from me while trout fishing. I never encountered a small bear with babies...that may be a different story.

Big bear...Grizzly and Kodiak have a different frame of mind(at least to me) than the smaller bears. But when the big bears have babies with them.....turn around.....get out of Dodge.....give them plenty of space-Plus what ever space you gave them-give them a few extra hundred yards more. You can't outrun, win a fight, nor climb a tree faster than big bear.

***Ever thought of having a hound or two with you on the trail? Not to hunt but as added ...hmmm....protection....or a target for the bear to hit before it gets you...giving you time to Get The *uck Out Of There?

If you want to hunt big bear....my buddies use 300 H&H, 300 Win Mag, and 375 H&H. They usually give the meat to tribal groups.

Just my 2 cents.

I wanna be extremely clear that I am not gonna be going out looking for trouble or hunting bears while I'm out trying to catch some trout and hiking. I intend on giving them as wide of berth as possible, but I don't want to leave myself helpless when wandering around in some of the most beautiful countryside this nation has to offer. I view carrying a firearm in the woods similarly to carrying one when going to the store... I have it, I'm readily capable of using it efficiently, legally, and with sound mind and judgement; however I would prefer that I never have to use it. A better safe than sorry kind of deal.

I do not have a dog now, as I travel. out of state 9 months out of the year for work and cannot give a dog the attention and care it would need. However, when I leave this job, a Heeler or Pit Bull puppy is at the top of my list to get, and will accompany me just about everywhere. Only issue is I can just about guarantee the dog can outrun me, which makes me the bait. lol.

Interesting article in the latest NRA American Hunter magazine about this very subject. Most bear attacks in Alaska start at 50 yards. It takes a 500lb bruin less than 4 seconds to cover that distance moving at 15 yards a second.
The USGS that put on a training class for its employees that have to live in the bush recommend a 12 ga with slugs, and not your forester slugs from walmart. Too soft and not enough penetration. Brenneke Black Magic and the DDupleks Steelhead are the slugs of choice.
They DO NOT recommend bear spray as a primary because at 7000' altitude it only sprays 10-12' and if really cold probably won't spray at all. They don't argue that having some handy might be useful if a buddy is being mauled to get the bear off them before shooting it.
Large caliber pistols were second choice with the .454 Casull being preferred, and .44 mag second.
Nothing was mentioned about 10mm nor anything smaller by the trained professionals.
The article stresses speed and accuracy with firearms. If you see a bear, get the firearm in your hands and have it ready for use. They cited some incidents of attacks that happened within seconds and if the gun was shouldered or holstered, the bear would have been on them.
I highly recommend getting a copy of the article because it describes the difference in a bears attitude from a mock defensive charge to the actions of a predatory bear that is looking to eat you.

I kind of view carrying bear spray and a stick as the outdoors version of having a stun gun and pepper spray for home defense. It might do something, but I wouldn't put my money on it, let alone my life.

I considered the Witness Hunter myself. I handled one and really liked it. The only downsides are weight and no stainless option. When the Glock 40 came out, the blue label price difference was too much to ignore, so that’s what I went with.

Honestly for the price, it may be something I pick up regardless of my end use for the weapon. Especially when applying said discount.... I believe they still give one of those out a year to the GSSF members.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
""I kind of view carrying bear spray and a stick as the outdoors version of having a stun gun and pepper spray for home defense. It might do something, but I wouldn't put my money on it, let alone my life.""

That is why I said a shotty and bear spray!! Bringing a stick to a bear fight....... Are you offering a tooth pick for after dinner ablutions LOL

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
""I kind of view carrying bear spray and a stick as the outdoors version of having a stun gun and pepper spray for home defense. It might do something, but I wouldn't put my money on it, let alone my life.""

That is why I said a shotty and bear spray!! Bringing a stick to a bear fight....... Are you offering a tooth pick for after dinner ablutions LOL
haha I said something of that nature to my buddy when he laughed at me walking around up here without a firearm. (I can't due to company policy). I mentioned that I am carrying mouthwash on me for the bear because I am a courteous (dirty words) tourist.

but in all honesty, I have been told before that a salt pistol or pepper spray is adequate for home/self defense, and I have read in may places that all you need in bear country is "bells, spray, and a sturdy walking stick". What a joke, in my opinion. However slight the chances, I prefer to be well prepared.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Smith & Wesson 460V, while a few hundred dollars more than a Ruger, Offers a compensated barrel that is longer and hopefully more manageable in terms of making decent followup shots. conceilability isn't an issue, and the extra length would be welcome I feel. Anyone have any experience with one of these monstrosities?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Smith & Wesson 460V, while a few hundred dollars more than a Ruger, Offers a compensated barrel that is longer and hopefully more manageable in terms of making decent followup shots. conceilability isn't an issue, and the extra length would be welcome I feel. Anyone have any experience with one of these monstrosities?
You can have one of the Ruger Alaskans ported as well to reduce recoil and muzzle flip. One of our members on the forum does it all the time, or you can have it Magna Ported with an EDM.