Picking the perfect generator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I intend on building a 5x10 teardrop. I dont intend on having a fridge, my cooler plus dry ice is a more cost effective and works just as well, if not better. I do want to have an AC unit, capability to charge the random electronics, ability to run the likely future Cpap, maybe an RV water heater? All lights and other general 12v stuff will be run off 12v batteries. I imagine that I’ll be able to boondock on 12v power 95% of the time, with hot summer nights spent running the generator and AC. I’m considering a cheap 5k btu window unit, but if I can swing the cost I wouldn’t mind an RV ceiling unit.

I figure I would just run the generator power to the trailer via the typical shore power plug ins you find at an RV park.

what do you think of these? I figured it would be a bit overkill for the trailer, but would be great for the house. Or, maybe I should buy a cheaper little 2kw unit dedicated to the trailer, and a cheaper 5-8k generator dedicated to the house?

WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off and Electric Start Amazon.com
That looks like a decent alternative to a Honda, but I cringe at what inverter generators cost. You could almost get one that can power your home AC for that money, but not inverter.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks like a decent alternative to a Honda, but I cringe at what inverter generators cost. You could almost get one that can power your home AC for that money, but not inverter.
I guess it all depends on how much you plan on using it, and your intended use!

I'd rather pay a little extra for the generator and enjoy savings on fuel use and the quietness is a bonus.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I intend on building a 5x10 teardrop. I dont intend on having a fridge, my cooler plus dry ice is a more cost effective and works just as well, if not better. I do want to have an AC unit, capability to charge the random electronics, ability to run the likely future Cpap, maybe an RV water heater? All lights and other general 12v stuff will be run off 12v batteries. I imagine that I’ll be able to boondock on 12v power 95% of the time, with hot summer nights spent running the generator and AC. I’m considering a cheap 5k btu window unit, but if I can swing the cost I wouldn’t mind an RV ceiling unit.

I figure I would just run the generator power to the trailer via the typical shore power plug ins you find at an RV park.

what do you think of these? I figured it would be a bit overkill for the trailer, but would be great for the house. Or, maybe I should buy a cheaper little 2kw unit dedicated to the trailer, and a cheaper 5-8k generator dedicated to the house?

WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off and Electric Start Amazon.com
Pretty solid generator. If one is going to boondock most of the time, that would give you all the power you need and more with what you're going to run. It would be a little shy of what you would need to run the home though. The compressors in the newest fridges and freezers are much more efficient that those in the past but if you have the home loaded up with lights, a heater, and so on, the fridge kicking on might kill the generator with the starting current going up to 7X the running current.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on how much you plan on using it, and your intended use!

I'd rather pay a little extra for the generator and enjoy savings on fuel use and the quietness is a bonus.
Yeah I have a dual fuel Westinghouse, that will power the whole house. Don't need portability though, for my use. I do make sure the UPSs I buy for my computers are sine wave AVR ones, which costs a little more. Probably a wash in the end.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
agreed, they're pretty rough on the pocket book. makes me wish I didn't have sensitive electronics that I wanted to power.
I like mine and am not sorry I bought it!

Gee I've had it arould 10 years now.

Wish it had a hour meter though!
good to know! I'm typically a buy once cry once kinda guy, but $1200 for something that I could buy elsewhere for $500 with a lifetime warranty is something that makes me do a bit of a double take.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty solid generator. If one is going to boondock most of the time, that would give you all the power you need and more with what you're going to run. It would be a little shy of what you would need to run the home though. The compressors in the newest fridges and freezers are much more efficient that those in the past but if you have the home loaded up with lights, a heater, and so on, the fridge kicking on might kill the generator with the starting current going up to 7X the running current.
really all I would be trying to run is the fridge/freezer, the internet and tv for the old lady, and maybe the blower for the gas furnace. might have to be a bit strategic with our use, but I bet we could make it work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
really all I would be trying to run is the fridge/freezer, the internet and tv for the old lady, and maybe the blower for the gas furnace. might have to be a bit strategic with our use, but I bet we could make it work.
Common sense and knowledge of electrical system loads for your personal use would be key and it sounds like you have thought it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom