Pieces of family history, M1 Carbine, M1 GARAND, US ARMY Colt 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had lunch at my folks house today and got a chance to look at some older guns that came from my grandfathers. First thing I laid eyes on was US ARMY Colt m1911. Bluing was all original, with very light wear at the muzzle, marked on the frame US GOVERNMENT PROPERTY. slide was marked with Colt and on the left side said US ARMY. It was about a 90% gun I would say with original mag and has the original documents of purchase. I assume he was allowed to purchase it after his tour, payed $17 for it!!!!!

Next was a M1 Carbine with US GOVERNMENT 30 CARBINE on top of the receiver. No marking on the stock of any kind. Bluing appeared all original and 99%, stock was in the same condition. Looked to have never been changed all matching numbers that I could see and original papers showing a purchase price of $23.00!!! Had original olive sling, and kept in a US issue carbine rifle bag.

Then I laid my hands on a mint M1 GARAND!! Flawless bluing and stock, with original bayo. Again receiver was marked US GOVERNMENT. No proof markings of any kind on receiver or stock. Original purchase papers with a price of $26!!!

Last, but far from least was 98 Mauser that my other grandfather had brought back over. This was confiscated from a POW while in Germany. I was told that these were not to come back with US soldiers in one piece. Therefore to bring it back my grandfather had to cut off the buttstock. You can see where it was cut and put back together. All original german battle rifle with a great story I am sure. To bad he is no longer with us and I may never know it's full history. Bluing and stock have a beautiful finish, but show signs of use. Their are no import marks or proof marks other than the original manufacture. Along with this he brought back a German Luger that my uncle received when my grandfather passed away, also taken from a POW......

I plan on getting these all out to the range and shooting a piece of history and when I do there will be detailed pictures taken so that I can find out a little more history behind each one.

It appears we may have some very rare, mint pieces here, that will never leave the family...... I was super excited to see, hold, and soon shoot such wonderful examples of military history.

Last edited:

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice to see that these will be kept in the family and hopefully passed along.

The original purchase papers show this money was received by whom?

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the 1911 shows us government. Will have to look at the others, but from what I was told he obtained the colt, carbine, and garand all around the same time while still enlisted, so I would assume they were bought on base or he was allowed to purchase his duty guns. Will have to ask to look at everything again. I was kind of pressed for time and spent more time fondling than reading....

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AFAIK, the military very rarely allows weapons to be purchased. I know general grade officers have been offered there sidearms in the past. I was thinking maybe these shipped directly from a Army post to him and was purchased thru the old Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM). In the 50's and early 60's weapons would be removed directly from certain Army post inventories and shipped directly to the DCM customer. I have the paperwork from my deceased uncles 1903A3 rifle that was shipped to his address from a Army post that is dated early 60's.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is great info. I will need to look into what everything says exactly, but I personally have never seen an like this. The prices they were purchased for made me LOL though.....

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most likely these came from the old DCM program as Chard mentioned. They are history and should be passed down through the family. Now, the important stuff: We need to know who made 'em! There are tons of books available on the wartime contract manufacturers of US weapons. When you get a chance, take a closer look at the firearms and post photos if you can. The Garand will be easy since you can see the tail of the receiver fairly easily. The Carbine most likely has the larger rear sight which often covers the name of the manufacturer. I am not very knowledgeable on the 1911 contractors but they are marked as well. If it says Singer on it, offer to take it off your folks hands really cheap. I kid, I kid!

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a lot of work ahead of me it appears. I will try to get them home to do some research on and take some good pictures. Thank you guys for the info. I never thought I could be so excited about old guns, but once I saw these I got all giddy!!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a lot of work ahead of me it appears. I will try to get them home to do some research on and take some good pictures. Thank you guys for the info. I never thought I could be so excited about old guns, but once I saw these I got all giddy!!

The old warhorses are beautiful. Several here can help. Perplexed is a Garand guy and has a freaking library of books and a wealth of knowledge on them. Both he and I have the Carbine books and can look up ID marks, etc. As far as the 1911, someone will chime in. Betcha Leighton (ldp4570) knows some stuff about them.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, once I have them at the house and can disassemble them to get to the markings I will definitely get with you guys to see what we can learn about them.

Terry, you can color me jealous too!! Wish they were already mine, but I have to wait for my dad to kick the bucket, which I hope and pray is no time soon. At least I can borrow them and shoot them!!