Pieces of family history, M1 Carbine, M1 GARAND, US ARMY Colt 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing that this thread is worthless without pictures, I will say that if the firearms are in the condition that you describe then I wouldn't shoot them. Keep us posted there are many here who will help you identify your heirlooms.

revo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had lunch at my folks house today and got a chance to look at some older guns that came from my grandfathers. First thing I laid eyes on was US ARMY Colt m1911. Bluing was all original, with very light wear at the muzzle, marked on the frame US GOVERNMENT PROPERTY. slide was marked with Colt and on the left side said US ARMY. It was about a 90% gun I would say with original mag and has the original documents of purchase. I assume he was allowed to purchase it after his tour, payed $17 for it!!!!!

Next was a M1 Carbine with US GOVERNMENT 30 CARBINE on top of the receiver. No marking on the stock of any kind. Bluing appeared all original and 99%, stock was in the same condition. Looked to have never been changed all matching numbers that I could see and original papers showing a purchase price of $23.00!!! Had original olive sling, and kept in a US issue carbine rifle bag.

Then I laid my hands on a mint M1 GARAND!! Flawless bluing and stock, with original bayo. Again receiver was marked US GOVERNMENT. No proof markings of any kind on receiver or stock. Original purchase papers with a price of $26!!!

Last, but far from least was 98 Mauser that my other grandfather had brought back over. This was confiscated from a POW while in Germany. I was told that these were not to come back with US soldiers in one piece. Therefore to bring it back my grandfather had to cut off the buttstock. You can see where it was cut and put back together. All original german battle rifle with a great story I am sure. To bad he is no longer with us and I may never know it's full history. Bluing and stock have a beautiful finish, but show signs of use. Their are no import marks or proof marks other than the original manufacture. Along with this he brought back a German Luger that my uncle received when my grandfather passed away, also taken from a POW......

I plan on getting these all out to the range and shooting a piece of history and when I do there will be detailed pictures taken so that I can find out a little more history behind each one.

It appears we may have some very rare, mint pieces here, that will never leave the family...... I was super excited to see, hold, and soon shoot such wonderful examples of military history.

Agreed, who is the manufacturer of the m1 carbine? Does it have the rear flip sight? Could be holding onto a nice junk of change. Carbines do not really have "matching numbers". Reason is, a lot of manufacturers had parts contracted out to other manufacturers to help speed production. Also, if you can tell us how many digits are in the serial number and the first few numbers of the serial number (carbine and garand). We can give you a month and year of production.

The M1 carbine owner's guide by Ruth and Duff is a great book to get started with your learning of the war horses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom