Pig Popping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got these two early last year with my 375 H&H. Day hunts are fun!

Both at 25-30 yds

Love it! I would do that! When I was a kid, I saved a magazine article about a fellow who shot jack rabbits with his .458 Win Mag. Also had pics of him shooting the .458 one-handed. That's probably one of the reasons I just had to have a .458 when I 'grew up.' That, and my fascination with Africa and Cape Buffalo.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Love it! I would do that! When I was a kid, I saved a magazine article about a fellow who shot jack rabbits with his .458 Win Mag. Also had pics of him shooting the .458 one-handed. That's probably one of the reasons I just had to have a .458 when I 'grew up.' That, and my fascination with Africa and Cape Buffalo.
Lol not much rabbit left I imagine! I think shooting a 458 win mag one-handed would be decidedly unpleasant. I would like to have one myself one day. I’ve got the Africa bug in a bad way. I’m going next year for the first time. Nothing dangerous this time unfortunately. Hopefully next time will be for buff or tuskless elephant. Maybe a non trophy bull elephant. That’s many years away though

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol not much rabbit left I imagine! I think shooting a 458 win mag one-handed would be decidedly unpleasant. I would like to have one myself one day. I’ve got the Africa bug in a bad way. I’m going next year for the first time. Nothing dangerous this time unfortunately. Hopefully next time will be for buff or tuskless elephant. Maybe a non trophy bull elephant. That’s many years away though

Actually, he shot solids (😲) and all it did was drill a .458 hole and send the rabbit tumbling! When he shot it one-handed, he held it hanging by his side to shoot it. When it recoiled, I think it stretched that shoulder about as far is it could be stretched! Enjoy Africa! It's a whole 'nother world!

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Actually, he shot solids (😲) and all it did was drill a .458 hole and send the rabbit tumbling! When he shot it one-handed, he held it hanging by his side to shoot it. When it recoiled, I think it stretched that shoulder about as far is it could be stretched! Enjoy Africa! It's a whole 'nother world!
Then that makes perfect sense! Less damage than a varmint round! I imagine he felt that for a while haha. I will!

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put the pig carcass at a lasered 245 yards from my back porch firing position yesterday. This morning as the sun rose I had a coyote and three calves standing over it, staring at each other.

I grabbed my 6.5x47 and set up. I had about a six foot window to thread between the calves, and the coyote was quartering a bit to me.

Bullet hit the meat of the shoulder and took part of the lung with it on exit. The entry hole looked so small it was almost as if I'd shot it with a pellet rifle. Exit hole was about an inch. Coyote did two spins, then ran about two steps before piling up.

130gr Norma Golden Target. ~2,705 FPS. Distance was ~250 yards as he was a few yards behind the carcass.

Blue dot is entry point on opposite side.

20220901_070816.jpg

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put the pig carcass at a lasered 245 yards from my back porch firing position yesterday. This morning as the sun rose I had a coyote and three calves standing over it, staring at each other.

I grabbed my 6.5x47 and set up. I had about a six foot window to thread between the calves, and the coyote was quartering a bit to me.

Bullet hit the meat of the shoulder and took part of the lung with it on exit. The entry hole looked so small it was almost as if I'd shot it with a pellet rifle. Exit hole was about an inch. Coyote did two spins, then ran about two steps before piling up.

130gr Norma Golden Target. ~2,705 FPS. Distance was ~250 yards as he was a few yards behind the carcass.

Blue dot is entry point on opposite side.

View attachment 299601
That looks more like a lung sucking 9mm round..

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neighbor sent me a cell cam photo of two juveniles at his feeder:
3f2ecaeb-.jpg

20 minutes and 250 yards of walking through shoulder-high poison ivy and swatting flies, I managed to get close enough to see them (15 yards). Got one for sure, maybe hit the second.
20220906_182902.jpg

Pulled the backstraps off, maybe will get a coyote off it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom