Piggies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice! We ration feed ours also. They get a certain amount twice a day. I don’t have a big automatic feeder. We like it that way for now.

Ours are getting pretty darn big. I’m actually thinking about processing them fairly soon… plan is something like: Lots of giant coolers full of ice. Do it right at sunrise when the temperature is coolest and flies aren’t out thick. Work fast and get the meat quarterd/chilled ASAP. From there we can take sections into the house and process for packaging a little bit at a time.

I have never processed a larger animal during warm weather. But I think we can get it done. Hog hunters in Florida process game during warm weather all the time.
Not I, I'll wait for cooler weather. If I had my cold room up and running no problem but that hasn't materialized yet. Currently they're about 100 pounds. The wife has said at least 50 times she wished they were in the freezer . Should be about 500 times before they make it there . We'll be having our annual chicken butcher in about 30 days.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice! We ration feed ours also. They get a certain amount twice a day. I don’t have a big automatic feeder. We like it that way for now.

Ours are getting pretty darn big. I’m actually thinking about processing them fairly soon… plan is something like: Lots of giant coolers full of ice. Do it right at sunrise when the temperature is coolest and flies aren’t out thick. Work fast and get the meat quarterd/chilled ASAP. From there we can take sections into the house and process for packaging a little bit at a time.

I have never processed a larger animal during warm weather. But I think we can get it done. Hog hunters in Florida process game during warm weather all the time.
I did about a 600# gilt last August. Ice chests, refrigerator, boned it out. It was all I could do to carry one hind leg.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did about a 600# gilt last August. Ice chests, refrigerator, boned it out. It was all I could do to carry one hind leg.
I remember that, and some of the comments. How was the meat ? The last one I did was freezing temps. I had to give my frozen fingers occasional breaks. I've got more equipment this go round so hopefully it's a bit smoother .

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The meat is just fine. I don't care what others think. Nothing different than feeding out a 1500 lb steer. It's all in the processing on how the meat turns out.
We travel or blaze our own paths. I get much greater satisfaction when I do it myself and in the manner I deem it to be. On a rare occasion I might ask for an opinion or help but it's a rare occasion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom