Piggies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was the problem with the kune kunes? I’ve got lots of grass and they’re a grazing animal.
My brother had kune kunes. The problem he had with them is that they didn’t put on enough weight grazing, so he had to feed them over the winter to make them worth butchering. I guess if you’re going to have to feed them anyway, you might as well go with a breed that’s going to put in the weight.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother had kune kunes. The problem he had with them is that they didn’t put on enough weight grazing, so he had to feed them over the winter to make them worth butchering. I guess if you’re going to have to feed them anyway, you might as well go with a breed that’s going to put in the weight.
I said I had and said about the same as your brother.

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me adding feed over the winter just goes without saying, we account for it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find an Ag teacher at the school and say you want to be a show hog toward the end of the season and offer $.08- .15 /# over market price depending if you have a way to haul it to the meat locker or not. If they need to haul, you will pay a little more than if you can haul it. You will have quality meat and you can't feed one better for that price.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find an Ag teacher at the school and say you want to be a show hog toward the end of the season and offer $.08- .15 /# over market price depending if you have a way to haul it to the meat locker or not. If they need to haul, you will pay a little more than if you can haul it. You will have quality meat and you can't feed one better for that price.
Check butcher date 1st, process dates are still way out there if not mistaken. Yes I still have plans for a locker but it'll be a bit yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom