Piggies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too late lol.
Picked them up this morning.
The male is pure Kune tri color, the 2 girls are Kune sire side and Juliana dam side ginger and black.

Attachments

• 20220402_113608(0).jpg
    20220402_113608(0).jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220402_113555.jpg
    20220402_113555.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220402_113533.jpg
    20220402_113533.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220402_115356.jpg
    20220402_115356.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 31

h4everything

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have hopes of turning a few pigs loose in my 3.5 acre pen when I finally get my darn fence built. I have the pipe bought just need to get it cut in pieces then run my horse wire

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew one guy years ago that would move his pigs into his garden after he harvested everything. The pigs would root up the soil and add fertilizer to it for the next year. Then he would move them to his orchard after he picked everything he wanted and let them clean up the ground falls. Then he would have those he wanted butchered. Needless to say he had great fencing set up with gates between sections. I will say he had the best bacon I have ever eaten too. Not sure if because of them eating the fallen fruit or just because he did not over feed his pigs and the bacon was leaner than you see in the stores.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew one guy years ago that would move his pigs into his garden after he harvested everything. The pigs would root up the soil and add fertilizer to it for the next year. Then he would move them to his orchard after he picked everything he wanted and let them clean up the ground falls. Then he would have those he wanted butchered. Needless to say he had great fencing set up with gates between sections. I will say he had the best bacon I have ever eaten too. Not sure if because of them eating the fallen fruit or5 just because he did not over feed his pigs and the bacon was leaner than you see in the stores.

Both

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m raising 2 Durock feeder pigs right now. First time raising pigs. Keep them in a 16x16 enclosure made with hog panels. Have a big 55gal drum waterer. I scoop the poo every couple weeks and toss straw in. Not much smell... I’m finding them to be fairly easy to raise.

My neighbor and I butcher them ourselves. He had an arrangement where he was buying show pigs that were done. Great price when you can find those. If you do the butchering yourself you can have quality fresh meat for about $.75 a pound

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m raising 2 Durock feeder pigs right now. First time raising pigs. Keep them in a 16x16 enclosure made with hog panels. Have a big 55gal drum waterer. I scoop the poo every couple weeks and toss straw in. Not much smell... I’m finding them to be fairly easy to raise.

My neighbor and I butcher them ourselves. He had an arrangement where he was buying show pigs that were done. Great price when you can find those. If you do the butchering yourself you can have quality fresh meat for about $.75

Do you have any offspring yet
They won't be bred until winter. 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days gestation.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My neighbor and I butcher them ourselves. He had an arrangement where he was buying show pigs that were done. Great price when you can find those. If you do the butchering yourself you can have quality fresh meat for about $.75 a pound
Got 2 ourselves that will see the freezer come the proper weather.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being ration fed so that they're not 300 lbs before we need.
Very nice! We ration feed ours also. They get a certain amount twice a day. I don’t have a big automatic feeder. We like it that way for now.

Ours are getting pretty darn big. I’m actually thinking about processing them fairly soon… plan is something like: Lots of giant coolers full of ice. Do it right at sunrise when the temperature is coolest and flies aren’t out thick. Work fast and get the meat quarterd/chilled ASAP. From there we can take sections into the house and process for packaging a little bit at a time.

I have never processed a larger animal during warm weather. But I think we can get it done. Hog hunters in Florida process game during warm weather all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom