Pimp My Deer Blind.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is one I built about 4 years ago . You could insulate it real easy , but the small buddy heater on low is great . There is enough room for two adults easy . Photo103.jpg Photo104.jpgPhoto105.jpg

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anybody looked at the plastic storage sheds that are about $500-$600? I was thinking about going this route just add windows and build an elevated platform to bolt it down on. I liked the 5'x6' at suncast.com

Sundance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wood will last longer and hold up better against the Oklahoma wind. I had one of the plastic sheds and it ended up in the neighbors pasture when we had some straight line wind come through. Replaced it with a wooden one and its held up great.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used Plexiglas that I bought from Craig's list , ,scrap metal panels that I got from a friend . I used Elevators on each corner ( bought from sportsman guide ) 2x6 floor , with 3/4 treated plywood , 4x4 legs ( they fit into the elevators ) , 2x4's on the sides & top . I made the windows hinge to the outside w/strings attached to the windows to pull them shut .I used Krylon ( cheap ) spray paint . Outside measurement is 3 ft wide x 6 ft. long . If I was to make another one I would make it 4 ft. w. x 6ft. long . I also used a rubber exercise mat for the floor to dampen the sound ( big lots about ten bucks )

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
mine has no insulation, and is totally drafty with storm windows turned sideways to make them sliders, a 1/2" gap in the door top for observation, etc.
I've used two of the little buddy's and both cause condensation (water vapor is a natural by product of NG or Propane open flame combustion) then shut off about the time it gets warm.

About 10 minutes later, it will light again, then the windows need wiped with towels to keep the condensation down.
I've found that just the pilot light puts out pretty good heat. Since I'm dressed for cold, I'll just warm my hands on the pilot. Put some soup or chile in a can to warm up for lunch on top of the grill.

I'd like to put in a heater with a vent.

I'd also like to add, that when it gets well below freezing, and the buddy heater is cranking, the water vapor that develops in the blind using the storm windows side ways to become sliders get frozen in place.

My next blind that is built, and waiting to be put up has wood slides around the windows, and safety glass panes that have lots of play in the wood slides, so the freezing up issue won't happen.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd also like to add, that when it gets well below freezing, and the buddy heater is cranking, the water vapor that develops in the blind using the storm windows side ways to become sliders get frozen in place.

My next blind that is built, and waiting to be put up has wood slides around the windows, and safety glass panes that have lots of play in the wood slides, so the freezing up issue won't happen.

Ours doesn't develop that much sweat. Our walls are insulated and that buffers the temperature differential and with the 2 front windows open about 4 inches (they can quietly be slid open further) the condensation is very very minimal. Our windows are framed windows from Lowe's and we just covered the top half with the same sheeting that is on the rest of the exterior.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, if I have some windows cracked open, I don't get the condensation either. Its frustrating to get in there an hour before daylight, fire up the heater, catch a little nap, and wake up to no visibility, and no way to open the windows.

You KNOW a monster buck is walking by the blind, and you can't see it!! LOL :D

I've learned by my mistakes. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom