Pioneer lady merchantile

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a place 2 blocks away between the merchantile and the swinging bridge I’ll sell you to get started lol
There are a bunch of men hanging out bored every day while their women shop.
A nice place with snooker tables and man cave stuff would be a good business there

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure there's tofu and quiche for them. I don't get it.

I don’t either, but what I do get is MANY good and great meals thanks to Ree’s cookbooks and inspirations. My wife absolutely LOVES to cook and bake her stuff. Therefore, I get to eat good stuff. My wife likes it because I’m fat, so I can’t run away.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do your own research. Draw your own conclusions.
There is a statue honoring The Pioneer Woman in Ponca City, and it damn sure ain't her.

Your post sounds to be more personal.

The show and her persona are "created" for entertainment, by the Producers and Writers. The message they portray, I can appreciate.

Benefit is the traffic and $$$$$ brought to the area, which benefits many more.

Personal experiences with "celebrities" true selves are quite often much different than the media show.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We ate there once, the food was pretty good, but it's still not as good as my wife's cooking. I've also had better food for a lot less money at little "hole in the wall" restaurants. Bottom line, I'm glad that the Pioneer Lady has helped Pawhuska, but we won't be going back there again.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was always just a beer bar. A lot of folks said he needed a liquor license but he never did.
Don’t know the story about why it closed.

Since the last major change in Oklahoma law of 1984 which gave us liquor by the drink Oklahoma had two types of beer (low point or "non-intoxicating beverage" and high point, which was anything over 3.2% ABV) and three permits:

1. High point beer and wine (around $500 year state fee + up to $500 city fees )
2. High point beer, wine and spirits. (around $900 year state fee +up to $900 city fees.)
3. Low point beer ($75/year county license; no state or city fees.)

The first two licenses were regulated by the state via the ABLE Commission and often had restrictions on if/when/where they would be granted. Both the state (ABLE ) and the city had some say in this. The county was easy to obtain and I don't recall any restrictions on where you could sell.

For a full service bar, you would obviously need the second and third licenses if you wanted to sell everything that people wanted ("import" beers which were largely "high point" along with all the "domestics" like Bud, Coors, Miller, etc. that were all "low point."

For a beer bar serving just the low point beer one would just need the county permit which is a LOT cheaper than even the beer and wind permit.

A few years back (maybe 2018?) the liquor laws changed a lot in Oklahoma and one of the biggest changes was that you could buy refrigerated high point beer in liquor stores as well as grocery and convenience stores. Previously grocery and convenience stores could only sell low point beer and liquor stores could NOT sell low point. This effectively ended the need for low point beer.

I'm not sure if the low point county license even still exists but the product isn't readily available so that could be a factor in the demise of a beer bar. It seems odd that someone would close their business rather than go from a $75 to $500 per year license but it may be the owner didn't want to mess with ABLE (they aren't fun) or the location wasn't eligible to get a state liquor license.

MikePAC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there, done that, went to Hutch today to visit and stopped off at the Yoder Cafe.
I too had chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and baked beans for $12.95.
Wifey had a 6 oz pork chop $11.99 with a $1.99 add a pork chop. It looked so good I ordered the same thing for me for a to go for my lunch Sunday and Monday.
I like Yoder Cafe as well!! I’ve been to Hutch last two weekends (missed hunting for family events) I have to get a Bogeys malt each trip home!!

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
okay ya'll can't say "too expensive" and NOT EVEN LIST WHAT YA'LL PAID COME ON

chicken fried steak has a way of being one of the most expensive items on a menu these days. it used to be the cheapest cut of steak, so not sure why it's gone up but i digress.

i mean if we're talking OVER $20, well heck man a combo at the mickey d's is gonna put you back $11 or $12 it seems like now. is the chicken fried steak 1.5x better than a big mac? most likely i would guess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom