Pipsqueak 30-06 load 2gr of powder and less.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get your attention?
I have been reading about tiny loads for cast bullets in rifle and many have got down to 1gr and below and still have the bullet exit the barrel.

I shot 2gr of bullseye in my 30-06 case with cci 200 primer and topped it off with a gas checked Lee 170gr alox lubed bullet cast from wheel weights.

After shooting that load which passed through the .780" thick oak board I shot another one from the same case this time I did not resize the case in any way.

Correct I just loaded another 2gr of bullseye into a fired case with a new primer.
Yes there was only about .0005" worth of bullet tension. In other words the case ID was .0005" smaller than bullet OD.
I could not pull it out with my fingers.

The bullet stuck into the board.

Then I loaded 1.5gr into the same case this time FLS the case and .003" neck tension.
The bullet hit the board and went .300" deep and fell to the ground bout 10" from the board to the right.

Need that rabbit load.. possibly quieter than a .22 short.

The gun used is a mossberg 100 ATR with 22" barrel.. shot from a dirty barrel.

The middle hole is a pass through.. the lower is .300" deep and the distance to target was 2 feet.
The upper is the bullet stuck in the board.

pipsqueek 002.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No nothing and the barrel was pointing down when I chambered the load.

Bullseye I read does not care.
I have read some people do the same with red dot.

I shoot 11.5gr red dot from this gun with the same bullet and primer and it is 1400fps measured at 15 yards.
Very accurate at 100 yards.

No idea how accurate this 2gr charge will be..I was busting them off in the garage.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever tried slightly crimping a .310 round-ball in front of a light charge? Was on Leverguns.com for a while, some folks had fun doing that..

i96.photobucket.com_albums_l195_papajohn428_IMG_4002.jpg

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting more field time with your big game hunting rifle, great for getting kids familiar with big guns.

Small game hunting with your big game rifle.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 ammo sometimes hard to find.
.22 ammo costs more than these loads..
I can build 45acp 200gr cast ammo for less than .22 costs.
And these will cost even less if I leave the gas check off..I do not need a check for this speed.

It is not a cost thing as much as it is a fun thing. 170gr bullet smacking the target harder than a .22.
Possibly quieter report than a .22 .
I will need to check that out.
I need to check accuracy also.

I have over 10lbs of Bullseye powder a few hundred pounds of lead. A lot of 30-06 cases that I do not use.
I only use R-P for my 30-06 hunting jacketed loads.
I have a couple hundred 30-06 and 270 cases that make dandy cast bullet loads.

Better than having those empty mixed name cases sit in a drawer.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been loading a .311 round ball over 3.5gr of Promo in a .30-30 case. Use 45/45/10 lube on the ball. Very light crimp.
Load them single in a lever action.

Very accurate at 30 yds, just under 1000fps, no recoil, very quiet. Cost maybe 5¢ per round.
Has some serious thump as a small game round.

Neck-size the case, reload.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how well it will work with case volume, but have you tried a shotgun primer alone with no powder in your 30-06 case?
I use the 210 SG primers in .223 brass from my AR using a .22 caliber pellet for a projectile. They will penetrate a 2X4 and produces just a snap.
I saw them for sale on one of the magazines I get, and since I have a lathe and thousands of primers, built a few of the cases. Of course the action won't cycle, but it sure makes for a fun load to play with. Using .22 pellets, you have to size the neck, and use a sharp punch to dimple the neck right behind where the pellet is pushed into the neck to keep it at the mouth. OR, use the .223 rounds that are half brass, half plastic. The neck size is tight enough to hold the pellet with no modifications.

Latest posts

Top Bottom