Pistol Brace "rules" signed by AG today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So then they need to turn in their uppers and other gun parts?...I mean, if they own any stocks, braces, what have you, they all "could" be a part of a build? What if they own other AR's uppers or rifles that are 16"? Are they not allowed to own a stock that fits them? The ambiguity of the whole thing is why I already said folks should just put a 16" barrel if they don't plan to apply for stamp...but a stock or brace is still just a piece of plastic that can be used on any rifle. If I had one, that's what I'd be doing and just make it legal...easy peasy. I suppose if you had a short upper you could either keep it as a legal pistol (assuming they clarified pistol buffer tube is fine), or you could store it (the upper as a part) at someone else's house. But as I understand it, a regular stock or brace will NOT fit a pistol buffer tube? So if the AR had a pistol buffer installed then it would not be able to receive a stock or brace...don't you agree?
You raise some valid questions. I don't have all the answers. The ATF has a section for FAQ on rule 2021R-08F. You can also peruse the entire rule on that site. I suggest you look there.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short barreled rifles are considered to be more easily concealed than a non-SBR, yet have far more destructive power than a handgun. That reasoning comes directly from the DOJ and that's why they're regulated.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/just...,destructive power than traditional handguns.
An AR-15 pistol with an 11.5" barrel and standard flash suppressor is about .5" longer than a Kel-Tec RDB and meets the OAL requirements of a rifle. Put a brace on that pistol and, under the new ATF rules, it's magically transformed into a SBR...it's no longer a pistol. Because of the short barrel it instantly becomes more concealable and more destructive than a handgun/pistol and therefore requires special registration to be legal.

Yet the RDB, a perfectly legal rifle that meets both barrel length and OAL requirements, is somehow not as easily concealable and doesn't possess the "destructive power" of the illegal SBR AR-15, even though it's shorter.

That makes no sense. And I understand the ATF makes the rules...I'm painfully aware of it. I'm saying the logic behind this rule is incredibly absurd because some rifles are legal even though they're shorter than some illegal SBRs.
The point in contention revolves around the idea of a short-barreled rifle. By definition, a rifle barrel has to be 16 inches long or longer. The Kel-Tec RDB meets that requirement. An AR pistol with a seven, nine, or 11.5 inch barrel simply does not. Adding a stabilizing brace to such a pistol makes it an SBR. That line of reasoning may well be absurd, but that is the rule as it now stands.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
327967480_722430116100948_4138913323140510451_n.jpg

delta6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Riddle me this...

If you are registering an AR short barreled upper on a lower as a SBR, does it matter how the lower was originally designated (rifle, pistol, other) on the 4473?.....
My understanding of the regs, it has to be a pistol since a brace on a rifle would not be affected by this new rule.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just want to give foreign nations more funding for war while we deal with liberal government entities that want to take away compact rifles while handguns are used the absolute most to kill Americanos. 🤦‍♂️
They need the civilian guns (and ammo) to send to Ukraine since we already sent most of what we had.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My understanding of the regs, it has to be a pistol since a brace on a rifle would not be affected by this new rule.
I was thinking more of the "normal" SBR registration. Who the heck knows where this new rule might end up.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom