Pistol choice question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to IDPA. What is the most popular pistol/caliber for IDPA or IPSC? I was thinking about a Springfield XD9 in 4" or 5". Does that sound reasonable?
Thanks!

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you plan to run the same gun in IDPA (say SSP or ESP) and in USPSA Production, know that you can do it. Watch the modifications; what is okay in one may not be okay in another. Take both rulebooks in hand and study before you modify; you'll then be fine.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9mm is the runaway favorite in IDPA due to ammo cost, followed by .45 for CDP division. The xD is a fine choice, but you're limited to ESP division like Lance said. Other polymers like the Glock or M&P can be shot in ESP or SSP.

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Right now I carry an XD40 SC for my CCW. I guess I could use that also in matches. I'm looking to the 9mm just because of the ammo prices over the long run. I love the XD's, mine has a sweet trigger right out of the box (at least to me it does, I shoot it fairly well).

Thanks again!

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Glocks. They're cheap, SUPER easy to work on and find replacement parts for, and you can run them in just about any competitive division. I think a G17/34 would be an awesome choice, but an XD9 would be great too.

dauthement1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken outdoor america store had the 5" XD in 9mm for just over $400, may have been $489, either way a good price on a nice pistol yo could shoot in both IDPA and IPSC

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading this thread I did a bit of "google" research. Can someone enlighten me on what makes a springfield XD part of the ESP class and not the SSP class? I was under the impression that the XD was a "striker style" pistol much like a Glock.

xxxchaotikxxx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
looking for a new 9mm and fairly new to guns. i have a springfield xd .45. and would like an xdm but i have heard alot of good things about sig saur.....any suggestions?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on what makes a springfield XD part of the ESP class and not the SSP class? I was under the impression that the XD was a "striker style" pistol much like a Glock.

The IDPA rules say:
SSP requires the pistol "Be double action, double action only, or safe action (when the trigger is pulled, the hammer/striker is cocked and the released)."
pg 19

The XD striker is fully cocked and the action is classified as "single action."

Since guns like the Glock are "partially cocked" you can spend fruitless hours arguing about what the rules "should have been."

Latest posts

Top Bottom