Pistol dot size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok...I know there's probably 59 threads...but hey lets do it again.

Looking to try a dot on a pistol again. I think I've narrowed it down to a Holosun 407K or a 507k.

407k has a 6moa dot
507k has a 2moa dot with a 35moa circle...and you can alternate between dot, circle, dot with circle.

Being new to all this, it seems like maybe the 507 would give me both quick acquisition when I want it with the circle...but turn it off for more precise stuff if wanted.

407 would be kinda between the two...and less to tinker with.

This is going on a P365XL for defense type carry...I've got other stuff for plinking and range only use. Think purely defensive type shooting and speed.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a FS M&P Core with rmr with 3.25 moa dot. The smaller dot is good for precise or distance but not great quick or up close. I’m probably going to swap it for a 6 moa and put the rmr on a 45* cant on a carbine as a backup.

I do want to do the 507k on the Sig P365xl because it has the circle. If I can put the circle on it, it gets hit. I have a Holosun with the same setup on an AR9 and really like it.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok...I know there's probably 59 threads...but hey lets do it again.

Looking to try a dot on a pistol again. I think I've narrowed it down to a Holosun 407K or a 507k.

407k has a 6moa dot
507k has a 2moa dot with a 35moa circle...and you can alternate between dot, circle, dot with circle.

Being new to all this, it seems like maybe the 507 would give me both quick acquisition when I want it with the circle...but turn it off for more precise stuff if wanted.

407 would be kinda between the two...and less to tinker with.

This is going on a P365XL for defense type carry...I've got other stuff for plinking and range only use. Think purely defensive type shooting and speed.

My vote is 507K.

I run 507Cs using the circle dot. They work very well for me. The acquisition is quick.

What are you calling precision?

I shot this yesterday. 10 rounds each at 10, 15, and 20 yards. Unsupported with 1 second splits.

I don’t see any reason to turn the circle off. It’s actually 32.5moa. 8” at 25 yards. About 2” at 8 yards. I don’t see the circle causing issues.

I like the Circle a BUNCH. I would run it without the dot before I would run the dot by itself.

IMG_6745.jpg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
First of all I'm no big time operator. I've never tried a 6 MOA dot.

It's been a while but I have used the circle dot set up (2 MOA dot) and it worked very well for me. I never even considered anything else to meet my needs for a pistol red dot.

If I were to get a new RDS I would definitely go with the circle dot version.

Let us know if you find any good deals on the Holosun optics.

Last edited:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm running a 407c v2 on my CZ P10S. I think it's a 2 moa dot. Not exactly what you're considering, but the small dot works well for me and my semi-ancient, astigmatism riddled eyes. I don't find acquisition to be a problem so long as I maintain the proper firing grip.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your line of thinking is spot on.

Running an MRDS is a challenge just finding the dot. Perfect your draw, and it gets much easier and will just "click" one day making you chuckle.

Bigger windows and bigger dots can make dot acquisition faster. The 407k/507k is a really little window and the 32 MOA circle really helps. I run 3.25 MOA dots on my RMR's, but still run the 32 MOA ring on my 507k. I pick it up much faster running the ring.

I Zero with the 2 moa dot and run both when carrying.

Good luck

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all I'm no big time operator. I've never tried a 6 MOA dot.

It's been a while but I have used the circle dot set up (2 MOA dot) and it worked very well for me. I never even considered anything else to meet my needs for a pistol red dot.

If I were to get a new RDS I would definitely go with the circle dot version.

Let us know if you find any good deals on the Holosun optics.
Kenzies optics has free shipping, no tax and if you use KZ10, (on non sale items) you get 10% Off. They sell out quick though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dots depend on their usage.
Close range for the 6 mil dots.
3 mil dots for longer ranges.
I personally use the circle dot sight in steel challenge. On occasion one loses the dot but part of the circle is still insight so one knows instantly what to do getting the dot centered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom