Piston driven AR15s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
There's a Daewoo K2 in the classifieds right now. it's a during-the-ban thumbhole version, but it's a piston driven AR that *i think* uses a t91/t65 taiwanese patterned upper.

you can get wolf imported t91 uppers that are piston driven now with modern furniture that look pretty righteous. i think they go for around $500.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
POF makes an outstanding rifle. Short stroke piston and very accurate. I have on that I've owned for years and I'm never disappointed with it.

I have a PWS long stroke piston 10.5" upper that is also excellent, but a tad heavy., and a PWS 300 blk 10.5" pistol that I love.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should go shoot it.
I’ll get around to it- maybe, haha. I’d imagine like many folks on here I have guns I’ve never shot. And as stated previously, I lack the time and resources to thoroughly test one. It’s not my only AR15, buts it’s my only piston driven one. If they suck, they suck. If they’re great, then great. I got it for a song and am happy to own it regardless. But short of “go shoot it”, there seems to be little feedback To my question. And to clarify- my question wasn’t is an SR556 a good AR, my question was is an SR556 a good piston AR. I have nothing to judge a piston AR against as I have never shot anything other than DI. But judging by the other replies of lwrc, adams, lmt and pws and Ruger not being on that list, perhaps I have my answer

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll get around to it- maybe, haha. I’d imagine like many folks on here I have guns I’ve never shot. And as stated previously, I lack the time and resources to thoroughly test one. It’s not my only AR15, buts it’s my only piston driven one. If they suck, they suck. If they’re great, then great. I got it for a song and am happy to own it regardless. But short of “go shoot it”, there seems to be little feedback To my question. And to clarify- my question wasn’t is an SR556 a good AR, my question was is an SR556 a good piston AR. I have nothing to judge a piston AR against as I have never shot anything other than DI. But judging by the other replies of lwrc, adams, lmt and pws and Ruger not being on that list, perhaps I have my answer
I don't have any guns I have not shot. Some occasionally, and some I wear out, but none don't not have bullets through them.

Piston ARs are about as exciting as watching paint dry. There's nothing magical or special about them. They just take a common Euro/Eastern Euro design and modify it to fit. Some use a full op-rod/piston, some use a tappet/piston, and some use a combination op-rod/tappet/piston Some are designed ground up, and some are after-market kits. The greatest benefit is the BCG doesn't have carbon all over it and doesn't get hot (BCG) like a DI gun does. They all work and some work better than others. The kits are where we used to see issues with bolt tilt but now you can get carriers that are made for pistons.

I'd take yours to the range, shoot it, and then see if someone there has a different one to compare or link up with somebody here to do that. Or go buy some spendy guns and compare.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom