Pit Boss Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Traegers of new do not equal the Traegers of old. Get the Pit Boss.

And I don't know of anything that compares to a stick burner. The ceramic kamados are probably the closest and have their own set of advantages, but nothing will hang with a true stick burner for real wood smoking.

j-black

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the vertical Pit Boss smoker sold at Lowes. Have had it for two summers now. No complaints, it works as advertised. If I had to do it over again I would get the barrel type smoker though.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Horizon stick burner and love it but with two young kids, it makes it difficult to find time to babysit it. Therefore, I’ve been thinking of getting a pellet smoker but I had some questions.

1. Does it get hot enough to cook burgers or sear a steak?
2. Are there any certain pellets to stay away from?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Horizon stick burner and love it but with two young kids, it makes it difficult to find time to babysit it. Therefore, I’ve been thinking of getting a pellet smoker but I had some questions.

1. Does it get hot enough to cook burgers or sear a steak?
2. Are there any certain pellets to stay away from?

Yes on the burgers and steaks. You can open up the louvers that are right above the fire pot, about 5" above.

Haven't been able to tell any difference in pellets. I pour all of mine through a screen to get all the possible dust out though before I dump the in the hopper.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my Traeger after the electricals decided to fry.
No, there were no pellets or dust in that compartment. I kept it cleaned out.

IMG_1861.jpg

Love pellet grilling but it will never be a Traeger unless I retrofit one of the aftermarket PID controllers.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my Traeger after the electricals decided to fry.
No, there were no pellets or dust in that compartment. I kept it cleaned out.

View attachment 174720

Love pellet grilling but it will never be a Traeger unless I retrofit one of the aftermarket PID controllers.

holy cow .. what a buttload of aftermarket controllers
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=traeger+...d=a8884a191ed4f031468c7de039e27c78&tag=b-g-20

been thinking about getting a Traeger forever. just never pulled the trigger. hard to justify when ya gots smokers out the wahzoo ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom