Pit Boss Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a PB Pro 1100. I have had it about a year and love it. I just smoked a tri tip and a ham today, as a matrrr of fact!
IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at one of the Oklahoma Joes pellet smokers at Atwoods today. 650 degrees advertised so I'll probable expect 600 tops, but that's still enough to put a good sear on a steak. It has the handle underneath to expose the direct flame for searing, with twin stacks and three levels of grates.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at one of the Oklahoma Joes pellet smokers at Atwoods today. 650 degrees advertised so I'll probable expect 600 tops, but that's still enough to put a good sear on a steak. It has the handle underneath to expose the direct flame for searing, with twin stacks and three levels of grates.

The Pit Boss I have has the grate you can slide to flame sear, if you would like. I only use mine for smoking. I use my Weber gas for grilling. If you are worried about temps you should get some of these. I replaced my Weber grates with them and can’t recommend them enough. They make some to fit pellet grills:

https://www.grillgrate.com

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Pit Boss I have has the grate you can slide to flame sear, if you would like. I only use mine for smoking. I use my Weber gas for grilling. If you are worried about temps you should get some of these. I replaced my Weber grates with them and can’t recommend them enough. They make some to fit pellet grills:

https://www.grillgrate.com

I actually saw the grill grates on one of the Guy Furie cooking shows the other day when they were used to get some good grill marks on some steaks.
I'll be buying some. Thanks!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
First failure this evening, flameout around 1230am. So it was set at 200* and had been doing fine for 7.5 hours. Reading through the Pit Boss forums it seems to be a very common problem and PB has little to no customer support....we'll see how this goes. Model 820D3 but it appears every model has the same control board. We've probably grilled on it 30-40 times with no issues, smoked on it 3 or 4 times with no issues. After some further reading and Youtube, if you're going to be smoking for 10-12 hours, clean out your fire pot prior, ash build up will cause the low temp flame outs. I think we've grilled twice since I cleaned out the pot prior to smoking today.

20200921_003947.jpg

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I felt like while pulling that pork butt off of a cold pellet smoker to finish in the oven..........while my stick burner of 15 years was sitting there smirking at me.

Oh I think a lot of us have been there no matter the setup.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First failure this evening, flameout around 1230am. So it was set at 200* and had been doing fine for 7.5 hours. Reading through the Pit Boss forums it seems to be a very common problem and PB has little to no customer support....we'll see how this goes. Model 820D3 but it appears every model has the same control board. We've probably grilled on it 30-40 times with no issues, smoked on it 3 or 4 times with no issues. After some further reading and Youtube, if you're going to be smoking for 10-12 hours, clean out your fire pot prior, ash build up will cause the low temp flame outs. I think we've grilled twice since I cleaned out the pot prior to smoking today.

View attachment 175086

Sorry that happened but thanks for the pointer about cleaning. I'm likely getting this thing very very soon and despite your issue, it still sounds like a good deal that's very much worth it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry that happened but thanks for the pointer about cleaning. I'm likely getting this thing very very soon and despite your issue, it still sounds like a good deal that's very much worth it.

Yeah agree it's still worth it and shouldn't keep someone from purchasing. All pellet grills either have or will have this issue at some point, especially on long burns at low temps without cleaning the pot prior it sounds like. Even if I never smoke on it again it's worth it for the sake of the grill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom