Pit Boss Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a Pitt Boss Rancher XL from Atwoods several months ago. As with any new unit it takes a while to learn how to use it and get the results you desire. Have not cooked anything except hot dogs and burgers but had my stepson and my sister inlaw both say that those were the best burgers they have ever had. So far i am very satisfied with this unit

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For about a decade I enjoyed smoking on a large well build offset smoker, then the friend I barrowed it from decided he wanted it back. So I planned to replace it but my wife bought me a Weber kettle to get us by.

Yesterday I cooked some chicken quarters on the kettle using lump charcoal and it turned out very good. But, it took longer than it should have because I had trouble keeping a consistent temperature.

Then, last night I see this thread and start reading. The pellet grills hadn't previously appealed to me but you guys got me researching and I think I want to try one.

A guy I work with is an advid bbqer and has placed in competitions. His take is that pellet grill/smokers are fantastic. He said the Pit Boss is pretty good in its price range and recommends looking at what he calls low end of the high end grills such as Green Mountain and Camp Chef.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have been using a Lil Tex Traeger for almost 10 years. Replaced the controller last year with a dual temp probe. Smoked a ton on it and can say ALWAYS clean down to the pot EVERYTIME if your smoking anything. If you cook higher temps for short periods every other time will do.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a pellet grill looks like doesnt always mean anything. Do some research and see what others say. Others being expert cooks. I bought a Green Mountain and could not be happier. Temp variation on it is 3 degrees from set point. My old Treager would swing 10 degrees.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have been using a Lil Tex Traeger for almost 10 years. Replaced the controller last year with a dual temp probe. Smoked a ton on it and can say ALWAYS clean down to the pot EVERYTIME if your smoking anything. If you cook higher temps for short periods every other time will do.
what a PITA. I clean mine once a year and have been doing that 20 years

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom