Pit Boss Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My biggest worry in all of this was cooking space... But the one I have now only has 431 sq in of space it's been fine. I just want to be able to cook for bigger groups should I have the opportunity and the RT-590 has 592 sq in of space. Then I could get an additional interior shelf for even more. Fairly confident the 590 is what I should be getting.

I have the 700, it covers what I need most of the time, I think there will always be an instance when it isn't enough though. The challenge is getting enough capacity for most things so you aren't burning a lot of pellets to hear a massive grill. The inner shelf isn't very useful, sits too high IMO, the barrel shape doesn't give you much room and still keep good grill space.

I bought the kit that basically had everything in it, mat, cover, front shelf(get this), sear plates(get this), interior shelf(meh), and a gob of pellets.

I liked their pellets, but they are pricey. The best deal on pellets for grilling is Sams, 40lbs for $14.99. Otherwise it is typically $17-$18 for 20lbs for any of a number of "flavors".

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes you will, been doing pellet smoking 20 years and I get a good 1/4" smoke ring on a 12 hour smoke with any beef. Poultry not so much but the skin on a bird prevents that.
I also use the wedge if I want more smoke.
il_794xN.2481008546_2hao.jpg

What does the wedge do? I don't consider a 1/4" smoke ring acceptable but that will vary with taste of course I guess.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have the 700, it covers what I need most of the time, I think there will always be an instance when it isn't enough though. The challenge is getting enough capacity for most things so you aren't burning a lot of pellets to hear a massive grill. The inner shelf isn't very useful, sits too high IMO, the barrel shape doesn't give you much room and still keep good grill space.

I bought the kit that basically had everything in it, mat, cover, front shelf(get this), sear plates(get this), interior shelf(meh), and a gob of pellets.

I liked their pellets, but they are pricey. The best deal on pellets for grilling is Sams, 80lbs for $14.99. Otherwise it is typically $17-$18 for 40lbs for any of a number of "flavors".

That's a great point about a bigger grill requiring more pellets even if you're not utilizing the space. Thanks for the pointers on purchasing pellets too.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What does the wedge do? I don't consider a 1/4" smoke ring acceptable but that will vary with taste of course I guess.
You fill it with pellets and start it with a torch and set it inside the smoker. It will burn itself out after 2 hours unless you add more pellets to it. A 1/4 inch smoke ring is as much as your likely to ever see. Even the pros dont get more than that and they say meat only takes the smoke in for 4 hours but not sure if thats true.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I only use real hickory chunks and too much smoke will give meat a bitter taste.

Even if I have something in my electric smoker for 12-14 hours, I only add the hickory at the beginning, and it is done smoking in a few hours.

The rest of the time it is just the old tried and true "low and slow" method of BBQing.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only use hickory and too much smoke will give meat a bitter taste.

Even if I have something in my electric smoker for 12-14 hours, I only add the hickory at the beginning, and it is done smoking in a few hours.

The rest of the time it is just the old tried and true "low and slow" method of BBQing.
I used to only use hickory and didnt notice a bitter result. I have switched to Pecan for the first time just to try it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to only use hickory and didnt notice a bitter result. I have switched to Pecan for the first time just to try it.
Pecan is a very good wood to smoke with, just about as versatile as hickory but milder.

And to the discussion: Meat won't really take more smoke after it hits 145 temperature or so. I've done many 8 to even 20+ hour cooks and once I hit 145 internal it's smoked. Sure, you can hammer it all the way to the end but it only builds on the outside and that's where the bitterness come in. I like a pretty heavy smoke so I hit it hard up front. After that it's just cooking. And you don't need that smoke ring to have a good meat, my Cookshack never had one even if I added a charcoal briquette to the wood tray. The food was still outstanding!

Latest posts

Top Bottom