Places that are off limits for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard something recently like that as well, however looking at their website I can't find anything mentioning the ODWC runs or owns tje aquarium. It does say they are. 501 charity, founded and managed by Oklahoma aquarium association and jenks aquarium association. However the ODWC does have its headquarters on the aquarium's campus per the aquarium website, but I would guess that only that section of the building where their headquarters are present would be a prohibitive place, but I'm not sure on the technicalities of a federal or state office having its office within a public charitable company.

I may have misspoken when I said they were run by Department of Wildlife. You are correct in that they are managed by the Oklahoma Aquarium Association and Jenks Aquarium Association, and being that ODWC does have an office there, the land they are on may be ODWC property which falls under a completely different set of laws regarding carry.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it hasn't been covered yet, CVS Pharmacy in Choctaw had a bright yellow "no firearms" sign.

I guess that the signs assume that:
1. That I saw it
2. That I read/and comprehend English
3. That I care

I have read the laws, but cannot find any teeth to these signs. It appears that the store owner/employee/manager would have to ask me to leave and then if I refuse, then I fall under the confines of trespass laws. This would be the same if I was unarmed.

BESIDES GOVT/PLACES ESTABLISHED in the SDA, is there any relevance to these random signs with no standardization in regards to a law, IE: If you ignore sign, you are going to jail or are they just feel good signs for the hoplophobics and beacons for criminals?

If its against the law to CCW in these places, color me guilty. I have mentioned it to several managers, all while carrying concealed. Usually just an "owner preference" excuse or a complete refusal to hear what I have to say. I rarely go back to them.

-Vood

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it hasn't been covered yet, CVS Pharmacy in Choctaw had a bright yellow "no firearms" sign.

I guess that the signs assume that:
1. That I saw it
2. That I read/and comprehend English
3. That I care

I have read the laws, but cannot find any teeth to these signs. It appears that the store owner/employee/manager would have to ask me to leave and then if I refuse, then I fall under the confines of trespass laws. This would be the same if I was unarmed.

BESIDES GOVT/PLACES ESTABLISHED in the SDA, is there any relevance to these random signs with no standardization in regards to a law, IE: If you ignore sign, you are going to jail or are they just feel good signs for the hoplophobics and beacons for criminals?

If its against the law to CCW in these places, color me guilty. I have mentioned it to several managers, all while carrying concealed. Usually just an "owner preference" excuse or a complete refusal to hear what I have to say. I rarely go back to them.

-Vood

While most places will ask you to leave before charging you with trespass, they are under no legal obligation to do so if they are posted. The myth that a place must ask you to leave if they are posted is just that. The state does not have preemption in trespass laws and they are different by municipality.

Here is the trespass statute for Jones:
Jones Statute 6-2B-8 said:
TRESPASS: Each and every actual entry upon the premises ofan owner or other person in lawful possession of the premises without the express or the implied consent of the owner or other person in lawful possession. "Trespass" shall also mean remaining upon the premises of an owner or other person in lawful possession after having been told to leave the premises by the owner, or the agent, or employee of the owner, or other person in lawful possession of the premises. "Trespass" shall also be defined as the act of remaining on private property at any time other than during posted hours of business operation after having been directed to vacate such premises by a police officer; provided, that the provisions of this sentence shall not apply to persons, including employees, whose presence upon such premises is authorized by the owner or by a person in lawful possession of such premises; nor shall the provisions of this sentence apply unless hours of business operations are posted upon such premises. "Trespass" shall also be defined as the act of returning to private property before the posted time of opening for business operation on the next business day after having been directed to vacate such premises under the terms of this subsection.

The first sentence says it all. If you enter the premises without the express or implied consent of the owner or person in possession. Carrying past a "no guns" sign would seem that you no longer have consent of the owner to be there and thereby you are committing trespass. It also means failure to leave when asked, but nothing requires them to ask if you are there without consent.

rhobbs

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just had lunch in Tulsa at Pepper's Grill (91st and Delaware)... its posted (no guns). Only reason I ate there was because a vender took me out to eat. They won't be getting any more of my business.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While most places will ask you to leave before charging you with trespass, they are under no legal obligation to do so if they are posted. The myth that a place must ask you to leave if they are posted is just that. The state does not have preemption in trespass laws and they are different by municipality.

Here is the trespass statute for Jones:

The first sentence says it all. If you enter the premises without the express or implied consent of the owner or person in possession. Carrying past a "no guns" sign would seem that you no longer have consent of the owner to be there and thereby you are committing trespass. It also means failure to leave when asked, but nothing requires them to ask if you are there without consent.

So they just call the police and say you are tresspassing without saying a word to you? Seems odd.

I have not seen a single "no guns" sign at any business in Jones. I usually CC, so I will just keep on keeping on.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So they just call the police and say you are tresspassing without saying a word to you? Seems odd.

I have not seen a single "no guns" sign at any business in Jones. I usually CC, so I will just keep on keeping on.

Like I said, most places will ask you to go put it in your car first...they don't want to loose you as a customer by having you arrested without warning. My point is that if a business is posted, they are under no legal requirement to ask you to leave prior to charging you with trespass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom