Planting Morel mushrooms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same here. YouTube is full of videos that show successful people doing that same thing and getting a harvest the following year.
We are doing something wrong.
Haven’t watched any of the videos, are you just pouring the “rinse” water off of harvested caps onto a “properly prepared” area ?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me know what was your experience as I am interesting in planting own mushroom patch
I’m relatively new to morels, but I don’t think it’s as simple as planting cucumbers. From what I see on my place, there appears to be environmental factors that effect where they grow. I only find them in a small area on the north side of the “dry” channel of the Salt Fork, and I’ve never found them anywhere else even though the terrain in other areas is identical. :anyone:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you guys tried planting your own mushroom patch? Several different size kits on Amazon for various shrooms including Morels and I wondered if it is worth trying. Here is the cheapest Morel kit I say.

https://www.amazon.com/Mushroom-Spo...90-bcda-7411886252e3&pd_rd_i=B07FZ7R42F&psc=1
DO NOT BUY SPAWN OFF AMAZON! (or seeds)

Morels are rather finicky, and their mechanism of fruiting is not fully understood, they tend to fruit after Forrest fires.

I would recommend trying shiitake, they are one of the easier mushrooms to grow and prefer to grow on fresh cut oak which are plentiful here. Shiitake means "oak" in Japanese. Grow from plug spawn. The easiest mushroom is probable posters which will grow in sawdust coffee grounds or even newspaper.

Check out Fungi Perfeci for cultures and spawn. It is ran by Paul Stamets out of Olympia Washington. Paul is the leading mycologist in the world and his books are pretty mind blowing.

https://fungi.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom