Plastic Only, No Cash??? WTF???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always pay with a card anyway but I don’t understand this. They have to pay quite a bit in credit card fees. I would think they would want the opposite.
My thoughts exactly. On the opposite side, there are still some small operations out there that are cash only. First one that comes to my mind is Fouled Bore.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew a gun store that did that. The credit card processors take their cut off the top, so they were making more money on the deal than even the Gov. Walters Defense Fund (aka OTC). He ran the numbers on a $1K rifle he sold, and after he paid the vig to the shylocks, err, credit card processors, he lost money on the deal. The shylocks made out like a bandit, though, so he started pricing things at the credit card price, with a posted discount for cash purchases.
My last trip to Blue Collar Tactical in OKC around 2 years ago saw them doing this. They said that they had a cash discount, but if you ran the math, the 'discount' was what the credit card merchant fee would be on the cash price. So by paying credit card or cash, they still made the same. I don't know if this is still their practice. I had come prepared to spend a fair amount of money on a rifle they had in stock. I came up there knowing the price they had quoted me, only to find out that it was their 'cash price'. When learning that their credit card price was about 3% higher, that was going to be about a $45 dollar difference. I'd have to pay that extra money, or wait for the bank to open on the following Monday to get cash and go back to pay the lower price. The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth and I ended up buying the rifle elsewhere. I just wish they'd have told me about the cash vs plastic prices on the phone when I got the quote. This was my only experience there, and don't know if this is an ongoing practice.

Last edited:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this isn't new. we had a plastic-only beer store open years ago here. less risk of theft, didn't need daily trips to the bank, etc.

didn't need to find employees capable of making change correctly...

plus cash is dirty. There is a rural gas station in a town we often bike through. Last summer they had a sign up saying 'No cash from bras or socks'. I guess they got tired of rednecks handing them sweaty bills.

Last edited:

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue I've seen with this in the past is I always pay cash for lunch out during the work week. So if Im forced to use a credit card and Im at a place where I order first they always have a place for a tip on the receipt you sign. I just ordered. How do I know if I want to leave a tip yet? Im not going to give you a tip for taking my order. That was a non issue with cash as I could leave a cash tip at end.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The issue I've seen with this in the past is I always pay cash for lunch out during the work week. So if Im forced to use a credit card and Im at a place where I order first they always have a place for a tip on the receipt you sign. I just ordered. How do I know if I want to leave a tip yet? Im not going to give you a tip for taking my order. That was a non issue with cash as I could leave a cash tip at end.

i've never known a 'plastic only' place to refuse cash tips, but YMMV. It's store itself that wont handle the cash, not the servers (though needing change back might complicate that somewhat).

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't cheat Uncle Sam. No Cash! No Cheat! Every transaction on OSA will be recorded.
They will know everything you have bought and sold and the address of where to come collect'em.
They will be able to destroy any industry they don't like by cutting off the credit.
They won't even need the IRS anymore. Their computers will figure your tax for you and suck it out of your account.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My last trip to Blue Collar Tactical in OKC around 2 years ago saw them doing this. They said that they had a cash discount, but if you ran the math, the 'discount' was what the credit card merchant fee would be on the cash price. So by paying credit card or cash, they still made the same. I don't know if this is still their practice. I had come prepared to spend a fair amount of money on a rifle they had in stock. I came up there knowing the price they had quoted me, only to find out that it was their 'cash price'. When learning that their credit card price was about 3% higher, that was going to be about a $45 dollar difference. I'd have to pay that extra money, or wait for the bank to open on the following Monday to get cash and go back to pay the lower price. The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth and I ended up buying the rifle elsewhere. I just wish they'd have told me about the cash vs plastic prices on the phone when I got the quote. This was my only experience there, and don't know if this is an ongoing practice.

I don't fault them for the policy, but I agree with you, it needs to be stated when quoting or discussing prices. The difference between perceived poor and excellent customer service is about expectations. As long as everyone has reasonable expectations, and everyone does their part correctly, nobody gets disappointed.

The company I work for suspended cash and check "cash sales" for a time during this deal. Either a CC or a Company charge account was required, but people with accounts were still mailing their monthly payments with a check, so I'm not sure of the whole point of the deal.

Strange times.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The place I shop for groceries had one cashier who would put up a sign saying, "Please do not lick your fingers when counting your cash".
We have always known that cash is unsanitary....filthy lucre. This pandemic may be what it takes to tip us to use credit cards or pay by phone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom