Plate rack day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shipping always kills me. Only paid 100 bucks for the target and it came with heavy duty dual chains and a t-post adapter if I wanted to stick it on one. Not sure how durable a T-post would be getting knocked around.
Will use some re-bar or pipe to make the stand.
We use Tposts to support AR-500 plate at the Ponca Range up to .300 Win mag on our 100 yd and 300 yd bays.
It holds up well. Amazing how many shots the posts will take and they are only $4 and change each.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bradbury Metal Art Designs in Adair does AR500 plates. I just had a full sheet cut up for myself. Got 20 silhouettes and several 8", 6", 4" and 3" rounds. Was about $1100 total.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot cast only nowadays - low velocities. AR plates are not a requirement for me but my big problem is finding places you can air something out. Not easy to find places where you can exceed 400 yds that is close to the house. Anybody here doing that kind of shooting around the OKC area? I shoot BPCR matches at the OKC range but even there 600yds is the longest range. That is about 45 minutes from me and not a member there so can't just drop by.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a place I need to get working on. Had planned to have it done by now but my job has had me busy. It's not going to take much work because I using a natural berm (a 300' hill) and will only need to remove a few trees. I plan to put up a permanent covered shooting area and stagger steel targets every 100 yards from 500 down to 200 yards and put paper target stands at 100, 50, 25 and 10 yards. I figured I'd put a marker for 600 and 1000 that I could use if I wanted to try it at that distance but would have to do it from seated or portable table.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would be a dream-come-true for me when I'm here in Oklahoma. I made this portable I carry in my truck but so far only found one small rancher from our church who let me impose on him. Even there 400yds was hard to arrange for the neighbors, the cattle and the layout.
Dingers (5).jpg

It's a bit small in diameter for iron sights & low velocity but all I'd want to truck out across some pasture. If you get out past 500yds I'd need pretty good size dingers and this smaller one is heavy enough. Also found that heavy chain seems to dampen the ring quite a bit. If it don't ring it sort of spoils the fun.

I think this one is 34" and it was no picnic getting it up that hill. Hauled another 34" up there to make a 650yd dinger from the deck you can just make out over the fellah's head standing to the left of the cowboy hat,... did that with a two-wheel hand truck. I think that was four years ago. I'd never make that trip now.
900 yd Dinger at Winds.jpg

When I'm up north I can shoot off my porch but even there, with the way the 20 acres is laid out I can only get about 180yds. Could set one south of the cabin and get 400yds but neighbor to the south would be the backdrop. Wouldn't take him long to start shooting back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom