Please don't be this person...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was on the “Neighborhood” app, and is in a pretty nice neighborhood, so you would think people would b3 a little smarter than this. So now, someone has a couple of guns, a checkbook with names, etc., and keys to a $300,000 home. What could possibly go wrong?

Not S OKC is it? House behind me (I have a tree line and creek between us) had their unlock vehicle ransacked and they have the guy on video loading a pistol at the base of the drive way when he gets out of car. Then the neighborhood across from me has a guy on video with a gun crawling around trying windows and doors, as well as checking car doors throughout the neighborhood.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably just a matter of semantics. The person could mean they were bought at a LGS, which required a 4473, or that they had listed the guns serial numbers for the purpose of insurance. There is no actual mandated "registration" in Oklahoma.

Problem is; those folks will be the first to agree to a gun registry, thinking 'sure, I thought we already had that anyway'.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4473 is a gun registry. They don't clear you to purchase a gun... they clear you to purchase "that" gun. The ATF holds the key to who sold the gun, the LGS holds the key to who bought it. It's a registry.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not S OKC is it? House behind me (I have a tree line and creek between us) had their unlock vehicle ransacked and they have the guy on video loading a pistol at the base of the drive way when he gets out of car. Then the neighborhood across from me has a guy on video with a gun crawling around trying windows and doors, as well as checking car doors throughout the neighborhood.

This is in SW OKC near I-44. I don't remember which actual neighborhood, but near Legacy.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4473 is a gun registry. They don't clear you to purchase a gun... they clear you to purchase "that" gun. The ATF holds the key to who sold the gun, the LGS holds the key to who bought it. It's a registry.
Indeed. I was told by a LGS, that THEY ARE REQUIRED TO KEEP 4473s FOR 20 YEARS. That's how they can tie a murder weapon to a purchaser, because the Feds have a record of all guns the LGS has received. When that serial number turns up in a crime, they just call the LGS (assuming the Feds don't actually keep the 4473 info themselves).

Private sales can (usually) be traced, simply because the guy you bought it from won't take the heat for a shooting he didn't commit, so he'll tell the cops whatever he knows. And even if a private seller learned practically nothing about you, the popular practice of using a public place for transactions often ends up with video surveillance.

It's all incredibly frustrating. :/

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a lock box bolted to my truck just for this purpose. I rarely ever leave my gun, but when I do, I am glad I don’t have to throw it in the glovebox and hope for the best. I have a buddy that lives off Danforth in Edmond, and he had the same thing happen about a year ago. Video showed a car slowly driving down the street with 2 guys on foot going down both sides of the road flipping door handles. Their neighborhood is gated so they never locked their vehicle doors.

Opinions sure have changed since the now closed Edmond Gunstore/Range got robbed a few years ago. Not that I’m harboring a grudge, but I sure got a lot of PMs telling me off for saying they should have locked their damn guns up after close. It is never the owners fault for a criminal breaking into their vehicle or business. but it also doesn’t mean you shouldn’t help yourself from being a victim by taking a few small steps. Unfortunately everyone else has to pay the real price, as now someone who shouldn’t have a gun, now has one.

What you “have” to do, versus what you “should” do aren’t the same, but hopefully they live and learn.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Indeed. I was told by a LGS, that THEY ARE REQUIRED TO KEEP 4473s FOR 20 YEARS. That's how they can tie a murder weapon to a purchaser, because the Feds have a record of all guns the LGS has received. When that serial number turns up in a crime, they just call the LGS (assuming the Feds don't actually keep the 4473 info themselves).

Private sales can (usually) be traced, simply because the guy you bought it from won't take the heat for a shooting he didn't commit, so he'll tell the cops whatever he knows. And even if a private seller learned practically nothing about you, the popular practice of using a public place for transactions often ends up with video surveillance.

It's all incredibly frustrating. :/

Yup, all records are kept in blue books for 20 years, though often much longer. The guns aren’t exactly tied to a person as that point, as the NICS check just ties a social to a purchase of a long gun, hand gun, other. But, the ATf has record of dealer inventory so all they have to do is contact the dealer the gun was last associated with and have them check their books for who it was sold to. It’s not officially a registry that way, but it’s a helluva loophole.

Latest posts

Top Bottom