Please don't be this person...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mr. Jack, are you saying that it is fine to leave your valuables in an unlocked car because the problem is just the thief? So we should not criticize the owner because it is their right to leave items out for the visiting pos?

I'm just saying that (in my opinion) unless you are willing to blame women wearing skimpy clothing for being raped, it's intellectually dishonest to blame someone who didn't lock a vehicle for their firearm being stolen from that vehicle.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a lock box bolted to my truck just for this purpose. I rarely ever leave my gun, but when I do, I am glad I don’t have to throw it in the glovebox and hope for the best. I have a buddy that lives off Danforth in Edmond, and he had the same thing happen about a year ago. Video showed a car slowly driving down the street with 2 guys on foot going down both sides of the road flipping door handles. Their neighborhood is gated so they never locked their vehicle doors.

Opinions sure have changed since the now closed Edmond Gunstore/Range got robbed a few years ago. Not that I’m harboring a grudge, but I sure got a lot of PMs telling me off for saying they should have locked their damn guns up after close. It is never the owners fault for a criminal breaking into their vehicle or business. but it also doesn’t mean you shouldn’t help yourself from being a victim by taking a few small steps. Unfortunately everyone else has to pay the real price, as now someone who shouldn’t have a gun, now has one.

What you “have” to do, versus what you “should” do aren’t the same, but hopefully they live and learn.

Exactly! My opinion, your choice if you leave your gun in your car over night, locked or not, and it gets stolen, don't go crying about it. You made the choice, you live with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had guns stolen from my locked home, never from any of our vehicles.
Buddy went shooting many years ago and left a Ruger .22 Blackhawk in the back seat of his unlocked vehicle while he went in the house to change clothes. Gone no more than 20 minutes in broad daylight. No security cams back then so he reported it to the police with the S/N and thought it was gone forever. About a year later a trucker was pulled over for a traffic stop in Nebraska. Officer spotted the pistol under the seat and ran the S/N.
Buddy got his pistol back sometime later after the guy pleaded guilty of some charge involving the pistol.
As LEO tracked the possession backwards, they found the original thief was a 12 year old neighbor boy that kept it at home for awhile and sold it to another kid, with the trucker being the final owner.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I leave a gun in my locked car, it IS the lockbox. You have to break into my lockbox to steal my gun.

How many lockboxes inside lockboxes must I own before I am not considered "asking for it" or responsible for the gun being stolen?

Asking for a friend.

Oh, and by the way, how many layers of clothing (specifically) must a woman wear covering her hoo-hah before it is not considered "ok" for a man to attempt to stick his dingus inside it without her permission? Or before she is not considered at fault if he does so?

Again... for a friend.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just saying that (in my opinion) unless you are willing to blame women wearing skimpy clothing for being raped, it's intellectually dishonest to blame someone who didn't lock a vehicle for their firearm being stolen from that vehicle.

I will never blame a woman for how they are dressed. It’s none of society’s business unless the person is nude. In an ideal world no locking ones car is an option. To days givens have destroyed that. You can be right and wrong at the same time. Right in saying it’s my option to lock my car. Wrong with today’s givens because it’s simply not the prudent thing to do. Finally cars have door locks and often times alarm systems, We should use those.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is in SW OKC near I-44. I don't remember which actual neighborhood, but near Legacy.
Yup, I'm hoping its the guy they got Friday night/Sat morning. I am on the west side of Meridian, and they hit our neighborhood, the one to the east of Us, and worked their way east down 134th. I think they were in Legacy when the cops caught up to them and ended up in a pursuit. I think they only got one of the 2 cars involved though.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I leave a gun in my locked car, it IS the lockbox. You have to break into my lockbox to steal my gun.

How many lockboxes inside lockboxes must I own before I am not considered "asking for it" or responsible for the gun being stolen?

Asking for a friend.

Oh, and by the way, how many layers of clothing (specifically) must a woman wear covering her hoo-hah before it is not considered "ok" for a man to attempt to stick his dingus inside it without her permission? Or before she is not considered at fault if he does so?

Again... for a friend.

It's not about fault. It's about dealing with reality. Reality, deal with it or it'll deal with you! That's real talk.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not about fault. It's about dealing with reality. Reality, deal with it or it'll deal with you! That's real talk.
That's not an excuse. There are all sorts of ways to secure your firearm in a vehicle. If you can't carry it or secure it leave it at home locked up in a gun safe.
That's not what I'm talking about. When you leave your firearm in your vehicle to go in a business for extended periods it should be locked up and secured. If you stop for gas pay at the pump. Can't pay at the pump? Carry your concealed firearm in with you to pay.
Mr. Jack, are you saying that it is fine to leave your valuables in an unlocked car because the problem is just the thief? So we should not criticize the owner because it is their right to leave items out for the visiting pos?

ALL of these statements are assigning some amount of 'blame' on the victim of a crime...

If I leave my weadeater on my front porch, am I to blame if someone comes and takes it? Did me leaving it out offer them too much temptation, and if so, how much blame am I supposed to 'accept' for them stealing my property?

How about if I left it on my BACK porch? I mean, that can't be seen from the road, so... if they came into my back yard, they were obviously up to no good, before they ever even saw my weedeater laying out, right? Right. So, do I have to accept more blame if I leave it on my back porch than on my front porch?

What if I put the weedeater up in my shed? Still my fault for not locking it up?

What if there is a small padlock on my shed? Better? Am I 'absolved' of responsibility for providing them such easy pickings? What if I have a privacy fence? Better? How about locks on the privacy fence gates AND on the shed?

I'm just curious, how many layers of protection to I need to enact to make certain I am not sharing responsibility and 'negligence' for the crime?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can be right and wrong at the same time. Right in saying it’s my option to lock my car. Wrong with today’s givens because it’s simply not the prudent thing to do. Finally cars have door locks and often times alarm systems, We should use those.

Right, so if I have my car locked and the alarm set, am I no longer 'negligent'?

Latest posts

Top Bottom