Pocket pistol or real mans gun???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As my dear old Dad used to say...

"You can't make everyone's smoke go up your chimney."
:drunk2:
Yeah that's true. Not everyone runs their guns as much as I get too. Blessed to have outdoor range I can shoot on day or night. Like Yesterday wife and I blew off 500 rounds 9mm running drills and maybe a couple hundred 45 acp. Tommorow I'll head to the range in the morning to shoot steel. Then pull brass out of the wet tumbler and load a couple thousand rounds to get ready for weekend. Not many folks get to shoot as part of their job like I do and take all the ammo I blow off as a business expense. However this let's me evaluate a lot of firearms quickly. Running more ammo through them in a month than most folks will do in the life of the platform. I know what works and what fails. I do not offer to the public stuff that fails.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that's true. Not everyone runs their guns as much as I get too. Blessed to have outdoor range I can shoot on day or night. Like Yesterday wife and I blew off 500 rounds 9mm running drills and maybe a couple hundred 45 acp. Tommorow I'll head to the range in the morning to shoot steel. Then pull brass out of the wet tumbler and load a couple thousand rounds to get ready for weekend. Not many folks get to shoot as part of their job like I do and take all the ammo I blow off as a business expense. However this let's me evaluate a lot of firearms quickly. Running more ammo through them in a month than most folks will do in the life of the platform. I know what works and what fails. I do not offer to the public stuff that fails.
There are some of us that are not unfamiliar with high round counts monthly and have personal outdoor ranges as well.
I'll stand by my Keltec's.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some of us that are not unfamiliar with high round counts monthly and have personal outdoor ranges as well.
I'll stand by my Keltec's.
To each there own. I will never bet the life of my family on a 195.00 gun that if you send in for warranty it's cheaper to give you a new gun than have a tech work on the problem.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To each there own. I will never bet the life of my family on a 195.00 gun that if you send in for warranty it's cheaper to give you a new gun than have a tech work on the problem.

You can't put price on the ability of a gun to be reliable. If you could use that metric reliably, the glock tupperware would never be sold in your shop, only high end guns that cost a lot of dollars.
I'm not familiar with your business or its clientele, but I wish it well.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't put price on the ability of a gun to be reliable. If you could use that metric reliably, the glock tupperware would never be sold in your shop, only high end guns that cost a lot of dollars.
I'm not familiar with your business or its clientele, but I wish it well.
I carried a Glock gen 1 as my duty gun when I rode the plains and mountains of the Colville Nation. I can attest to it's robust and functional design. A blending of efficent design borrowing the polymer material for the frame from the HK VP70Z. Along with it's striker fire system. I bet my life on the Glock although later my Chief let me go back to my Colt. Price and value are not always the same. I will carry cheap guns like the Ruger Security any day. While stuff like the Canick is a no go. My youngest daughter carrys both an M11A1 SIG in a holster and a KAHR CW9mm in belly band . Trust me if the KAHR did not run 100% of the time I would not let her carry it. I sell no Personal defense firearm I would not have one of my kids or my wife carry. We carry Glock when I'm not in trouble for selling below MAP. Lots of M&p Smiths, Colts, Springfields and Rugers. I once sold Keltec but do not now. No SCCY. No Highpoint even though margin on Highpoint is much better than SIG. I rarely sell Kimber as I find too often they have issues despite having a higher price point than say Springfield. I don't sell Rock Island or EAA and having personally seen Bersa stuff literally break in two I pass on their stuff.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carried a Glock gen 1 as my duty gun when I rode the plains and mountains of the Colville Nation. I can attest to it's robust and functional design. A blending of efficent design borrowing the polymer material for the frame from the HK VP70Z. Along with it's striker fire system. I bet my life on the Glock although later my Chief let me go back to my Colt. Price and value are not always the same. I will carry cheap guns like the Ruger Security any day. While stuff like the Canick is a no go. My youngest daughter carrys both an M11A1 SIG in a holster and a KAHR CW9mm in belly band . Trust me if the KAHR did not run 100% of the time I would not let her carry it. I sell no Personal defense firearm I would not have one of my kids or my wife carry. We carry Glock when I'm not in trouble for selling below MAP. Lots of M&p Smiths, Colts, Springfields and Rugers. I once sold Keltec but do not now. No SCCY. No Highpoint even though margin on Highpoint is much better than SIG. I rarely sell Kimber as I find too often they have issues despite having a higher price point than say Springfield. I don't sell Rock Island or EAA and having personally seen Bersa stuff literally break in two I pass on their stuff.
Well, you just made my point. Money doesn't equate to reliability. Design does.
There are glocks in earlier models that have had major issues which is why they have gen 1, gen 2, and so on. It's all about the factories not doing due diligence of quality control for the most part.
I can't think of a single gun produced by any manufacturer in recent times that hasn't had a recall or some sort of reliability issues.
I have two Kahr CW-40's that run like a clock on factory ammo, but fail miserably on reloads. That is not the guns fault, it's mine. I have to figure out what the issue is.
When your factory is producing guns at a pace that is beyond its capabilities to satisfy customer demand, factories cut out long term testing and rush the computer designed product to the street.
Unfortunately, computer designs don't take a lot of things that explode at different levels into the design process and failures occur.
Now that gun sales are slowing down, I'm hoping the factories will get back into getting quality products back into the market that don't need recall after recall.
The bean counters from holding companies that run these companies now have a major part of our issues.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have so many interests and responsibilities in my life, I don't have time to fire thousands of rounds each day. That seems to be okay though, in the last 71 years, I've only be shot at once, and he missed. I have owned Glocks, Colts, Sigs, Walthers, Smiths, Rugers, and Kel-Tecs, and many others. I've watched local stores come and go, mainly because of not knowing their customers interests. So, I just enjoy some range time now and then, I help with a food bank and clothes closet a couple of times a month, get to a lot of high school football and basketball games, go to movies, go shopping with my wife, visit with friends, and live a very balanced life. And I shoot whatever stirs my interest at that particular time, and marvel that those companies can manufacture what they do and do it profitably. And watch local stores go out of business because they knew better than their customers.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It's always cute when an FFL thinks he's seen everything. Got news for you.... Glocks have had issues...... Sig has definitely had issues and Kahrs have had issues. Don't even get me started on Colt.... they look pretty.... I'll give them that but their QC is akin to a craps table in Vegas.

Not sure where the Canik comment comes form, they are generally proven CZ and Walther copies. Extremely well made.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cracks me up when people think the value of a gun makes it more reliable. I have seen $800 Kimber that couldn't run a magazine and Hi Points that run flawless out of the box. Almost like saying save your pennies and buy that Lambo, don't settle for a Chevy....Ford....etc...

Latest posts

Top Bottom